I think our chickens have Brinchitus it is spreading & 1 is dying

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by TCRSheaggs, Aug 23, 2010.

1. TCRSheaggs

TCRSheaggs New Egg

Aug 23, 2010
    I am new to this site but am in desperate need of some help to start off with. We have two different pens with chickens in addition to a small pen with two young roosters in it that were waiting to be sold. Our boys recently (about two weeks ago) bought 4 new hens. We noticed one hen was making a funny noise and as a couple days passed the noises were getting worse and a little runny nose and sneezing type stuff going on. She has recovered but two other hens in that pen are now sick. We moved them into quaranteen in a small pen on another side of the property and then scoured the pen they came from. Last night I noticed that one of our young hens (20 weeks old) is now sick and making gurgely noises. This morning one of the roosters in the small pen is very sick, he is laying down and won't get up. I think he is dying as his body and legs seem stiff. All our chickens have fresh clean water, good fresh food rations and their pens get cleaned regularly. We use shavings in nest boxes and hay on the floor of the hen house and the outside pen areas are dirt. What can I do for our chickens??? I feel awful and don't want to lose them all. We have 25 in all. I don't know that it is bronchitus but from what I have read I think it might be. Any help, information or suggestions you have will be greatly appreciated.

2. WiscoChiko

WiscoChiko Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 19, 2010
    Portage county WI
    Any thoughts? Cmon Peeps...

3. ND

ND Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 20, 2010
    Tylan 50 injectable, given orally, works well on a lot of respiratory problems. Of course, you can inject it, but I've used it orally. There is some dispute on how to inject it... muscle or subcutaneously. It's meant to be intramuscular in the animals it's sold for (larger livestock), but I've read that it causes muscle damage. That's not that big of a deal in a LARGE animal (a small spot of muscle damage), but to a small bird... the damage would be more significant given the size scale. However, many people do inject it into the breast muscle with seemingly no problems. The does I used ORALLY was 3/4cc for very LARGE standard birds, 1/2cc for average standard birds, 1/4cc for pullets. I believe there is a version of Tylan that can be mixed in the drinking water, but I couldn't find it in my area. Treat for at least three days if given in the muscle, at least 5 orally.

BUT...and this is a BIG BUT... it's likely that any birds that recover WILL become carriers and pass this on to healthy birds and even their hatching eggs. Even if they recover 100% and seem totally healthy. Any new birds you get will most likely get sick with it... and if you sell any birds, you are passing it around to others who will have their other birds get sick... like what happened to you.

For this reason, you really have two options if you want to be responsible. Have a TOTALLY closed flock. Do no sell birds, do not bring new birds in, do not sell hatching eggs or chicks. To keep this from continuing to spread to new birds and other flocks, you must have a totally closed flock. No one leaves your property alive.

Your second option is to cull ALL birds, burn the carcasses, sanitize coops and pens... and start over with a new, clean flock after it's properly sanitized and a small amount of time has gone by to allow the virus/bacteria to die off without a host.

In the future, isolate and quarantine any new birds for several weeks to more than a month before letting them anywhere near your flock. Some people will 'sacrifice' a bird... putting one of their birds in with the new birds after a few weeks to see if it gets sick with something the new birds may be carrying for several weeks before putting them in with their main flock.

Lastly, even if you decide to have a closed flock and treat the birds... since they are carriers, they may 'relapse' and show symptoms again during times of stress, etc.

Unfortunately, if anyone leaves your property alive, they'll be spreading this to new birds, even if they seem healthy and recovered. This is why those that breed/sell/raise birds to sell will immediately cull birds immediately that have shown respiratory symptoms rather than treat them. They do not want to continue to contaminate others knowingly.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by