I think our dog killed my pullet!!!!!!!!!

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by BookWorm243, Aug 14, 2011.

1. BookWorm243

BookWorm243 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 13, 2010
    Franklin, NC
    I am so mad right now. We have a mixed breed dog named Cody. He has been been with chickens for 2 years now. Yesterday night as usual he came with me when I went out to lock up the chickens. Well one of our Bantam Hamburg pullets was out and he decided to chase her! I am chasing him down the mountain bare foot in my PJs yelling at him. I am sure it was a funny sight. Anyway he was chasing her for fun, he would pounce of her with her front two feet than let her go, chase her again and the same thing over and over. I finally grabbed him and got my little girl. She seemed fine just a little shaken up by the whole thing. Well I go out and find one of our pullets dead, there was no feather loss, cuts, bite marks, nothing. I think he killed her [​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 14, 2011
  2. allieloveschickens

allieloveschickens Chillin' With My Peeps

May 20, 2010
    San Diego
    sorry for your loss [​IMG]

3. BookWorm243

BookWorm243 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 13, 2010
    Franklin, NC
    Thank You,

It really stinks we had a trio of Golden Penciled Hamburgs and he killed the one pullet and the other two are gone. I have no clue where they are [​IMG]

4. allieloveschickens

allieloveschickens Chillin' With My Peeps

May 20, 2010
    San Diego
    hopefully they are just hiding out and will return soon, you can check under bushes, in tall grass, and even in the trees- chickens will hide for hours if they are scared. I have a pit mix and he killed one of my hens "playing" with her when my bf left him in the back yard alone with my three hens, fortunately he did not harm the other two even though they were all free ranging and the girls were not smart enough to hide in the coop. He knew he had been bad and had gone to hide in our wood shed, he has never gone after the chickens again, but I will never trust him alone with the girls (I have a new flock now) I hope your other Hamburgs come back soon! [​IMG]

5. wildriverswolf90

wildriverswolf90 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 4, 2011
    polk county, NC
    [​IMG] I am so sorry I kno that tough and I pray your other two are safe and sound [​IMG]

6. magicpigeon

magicpigeon Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 9, 2010
    Praying for the safe return of your chickens [​IMG]

7. LisaAnnW

LisaAnnW Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 31, 2011
    The hen that died may have had an egg broken inside of her during the rough play of your dog. Sometimes the broken egg comes out, but other times it doesn't and the hen dies. So sorry.

8. Ole rooster

Ole rooster Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 25, 2011
    Milner, Georgia
    That is one reason my dog is completely obedience trained. When he running after anything when I say stop, that's it. He stops. I live along side a state highway and have seen Morgan chasing a wild turkey or a deer. Going straight for the highway and the turkey flies over the road Morgan runs wide open after the bird and slams on brakes about 5 feet from the highway. He sits down, watches the bird, then turns and comes back to me. We're up on the road all the time but till I tell him it ok to cross, he never has.

A well trained dog is such a blessing and gives such peace of mind.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by