I think our rooster has gone too long without ladies

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Mommysongbird, Sep 14, 2011.

1. Mommysongbird

Mommysongbird Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 17, 2011
    Small Town, Virginia
    he has been cooped for months because of the other rooster, but the other roo is gone now.

Today he came after me and I smacked him. I was putting the water jugs in the run and he ran at me, has never done that, but he has been in the coop all this time. How do we break this NOW!!!

He also got out of the run and my son and I had to round him back up before our dog got him. Crazy chicken. He gets out again I will just let the dog have him.

2. Wynette

Wynette Moderator Staff Member

Sep 25, 2007
    Michigan
    Quote:Please do not intentionally allow your dog to attack your chicken.

3. Wynette

Wynette Moderator Staff Member

Sep 25, 2007
    Michigan
  4. artsy1

artsy1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 5, 2011
    sarasota
    Why do roosters get so mean sometimes? from a newbie.......
    p.s. thanks for the laugh

5. Mommysongbird

Mar 17, 2011
    Small Town, Virginia

I won't, just very AGRIVATED with that rooster. He has been hand fed and given extra treats while cooped up and this is how he repays us. For Heaven sakes! I am not even sure why he came out of the pen (the run) none of them have ever even tried.

6. Happy Chooks

Happy Chooks Moderator Staff Member

Jul 9, 2009
    Northern CA
    My Coop

I won't, just very AGRIVATED with that rooster. He has been hand fed and given extra treats while cooped up and this is how he repays us. For Heaven sakes! I am not even sure why he came out of the pen (the run) none of them have ever even tried.

You babied him, and now he thinks he's above you.

I never hand feed my roosters. I hand feed the hens, and sure the rooster comes and grabs some to feed to the hens, but I never directly feed him.

7. Mommysongbird

Mar 17, 2011
    Small Town, Virginia
    Quote:I won't, just very AGRIVATED with that rooster. He has been hand fed and given extra treats while cooped up and this is how he repays us. For Heaven sakes! I am not even sure why he came out of the pen (the run) none of them have ever even tried.

You babied him, and now he thinks he's above you.

I never hand feed my roosters. I hand feed the hens, and sure the rooster comes and grabs some to feed to the hens, but I never directly feed him.

See, now he doesn't even let the pullets eat. I gavet them some rolls today and he tried taking them all!! He doesn't call to them when we bring food or water, he does just the opposite of what a roo should do I think. I watched our other roo and he would ALWAYS call the pullets over to where the food and fresh water was. He would call them when it is time for bed, he would even wait until all the pullets (there's only 5) were all inside then he would go in. This rooster doesn't do that. He goes in and doesn't even call to them. I wonder if it is just because the other roo just left on Monday I believe????

8. TexasToucan

TexasToucan Out Of The Brooder

Jan 16, 2010
    You didn't mention how old the rooster is, but can I assume he is young? If he has been confined away from the hens, with only another rooster for company, he hasn't learned how to interact with the women. It would be like a 14 year old boy all of a sudden thrown in with a group of 30 something women. He wouldn't have a clue how to impress them. Give him time. I think he will figure out that you catch more flies (or hens) with honey than with vinegar. Of course, he still needs to learn that you are the alpha rooster. As soon as they are identified as roosters, I have a strict policy of not allowing roos anywhere near me. If they come close, I make it a point of chasing them off, even if I have to tug on tail feathers a little.

9. Mommysongbird

Mar 17, 2011
    Small Town, Virginia
    Quote:He is young, only 22 weeks. They are all the same age, even the other roo is that age.

He didn't live with the other roo alone, both roos lived with the ladies, but the white roo (the one that went to the new home) kept this roo AWAY from his ladies and cooped up, literally in the coop 24/7.

In other words, we have 7 chickens in the same coop/run for many months. Just the one roo was the 'alpha' of sorts, unless I was out there, the HE KNEW that I was the TRUE ALPHA. I guess now the other roo, the EE needs to learn this, that I AM THE ALPHA, NOT him.

But how should I go about doing that?

What is the BEST way??

Not sure how I did it with the white leg horn, he just kinda knew!?!

And I thought EE's were suppose to be gentle? So far we have 3 and none of them are really 'lovable' compared to our other birds.

10. ozark_chickies

ozark_chickies Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 19, 2011
    Arkansas
    My rir roo started biting me and being aggresive my dh showed me how to stop this. He bit my dh (big mistake) my dh chased him down caught him, held him down and pulled a couple of feathers out of the back of his neck like another roo would do to show dominance. That was the end of the agresive behavior tward my dh. so the next time he bit me I did the same thing and now he doesnt bother me either

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by