I think Roo...but what breed?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by Moriah, Oct 22, 2008.

1. Moriah

Moriah Out Of The Brooder

Sep 4, 2008
    Springfield Colorado
    This bird came with the easter eggers we ordered from Mc Murray last month. I am certain it is a roo, as it is one of the more aggressive birds and has a very prominent comb, more so than the others. The leg feathers confuse me though. This pic is just over two weeks old at the time the chick is 5.5 weeks. I can try to get another, better and more current pic later, if needed

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 22, 2008
  2. Chickndaddy

Chickndaddy Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 26, 2007
    East Texas
    I think it is an EE regardless of leg color.

3. HorseFeathers

HorseFeathers Frazzled

Apr 2, 2008
    Southern Maine
    EEs are, to put it bluntly, mutts. Anything's possible. That's why I love them!

4. Smartie_Pants

Smartie_Pants Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 5, 2008
    Madisonville, KY
    It's an EE, and I think its a roo too. I have a roo that looked a lot like that as a youngster. He grew into a handsome young man!

[​IMG] [​IMG]

[​IMG] [​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 22, 2008
  5. Moriah

Moriah Out Of The Brooder

Sep 4, 2008
    Springfield Colorado
    It isn't the leg color that I was referring to, but rather the fact that he has feathers on his legs, and according to everything I have read in various places online that is not a trait in araucana, ameraucana or EE's. here is what he looks like now at 7.5 weeks.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

as you can see the feathers on his legs are just little stubby feathers, and seem to get pecked at alot.

6. Smartie_Pants

Smartie_Pants Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 5, 2008
    Madisonville, KY
    Like another poster said, EE's are mutts. They can have a blood line of all kinds of different breeds. Therefore, it is not unusual for him to have feathered legs. There was probably just a feather legged breed in his bloodline.

7. Mrs MIA

Mrs MIA Chick Magnet

Mar 3, 2008
    I agree. I've crossed light brahmas with RIRs, and they have very lightly feathered feet like that. I think your bird is a cross, but adorable nonetheless. [​IMG]

8. nhnanna

nhnanna Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 18, 2008
    The chicken coop
    I have one that is dark brahma/ameraucana that looks just like that one and it has the feathers on the legs also. [​IMG]

9. cthrash1

cthrash1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 15, 2008
    Somerset, KY
    I have a bantam EE with little specks of feathering down its legs like that.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by