i think roo. what about you.

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by missmelis, Feb 3, 2014.

1. missmelis

missmelis Out Of The Brooder

Jul 11, 2013
    [​IMG][​IMG]
    I am new to silkies but I think he is a too. He won't let me touch him. I think I see a comb under there but when I try to touch its face it freaks. It was doing this cute little beep like noise then this morning I thought I heard whatmight be an attempt at a crow. I ccan't have this many roosters. What to do. Its so cute though.opinions

2. Wyandottes7

Wyandottes7 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    It can be hard to tell with Silkies, but that bird looks like a pullet to me. Roosters generally have spikier crests, "streamers" (thin, longer feathers coming out of the back of the crest), a taller stance, and a larger comb/wattles.

1 person likes this.
  3. dretd

dretd Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 14, 2009
    Ft Collins, CO
    Hi missmelis and [​IMG]

Would you mind telling us how old s/he is? Silkies are notorious for guessing the correct sex until they lay that egg or crow. I agree that boys will have the spikier hair-do but that may not come in for a bit if he is still young.

4. missmelis

Jul 11, 2013
    Its 5 months old.

5. missmelis

Jul 11, 2013
    Anyone else have an opinion.

6. RockerHen

RockerHen Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 10, 2011
    Chappells, SC
    A clearer head shot would be helpful, of both the comb/face and a side profile of the head. However, based on these pictures, I'm going to tentatively say cockerel, because I believe I see streamers in that first picture.

7. SilkiesForEver

SilkiesForEver Overrun With Chickens

Mar 24, 2012
    Sacramento, CA
    I agree. I think I see gold streamers and hackle feathers as well.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by