I think she ate a safety pen... O.o

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by chickensarefamily2me2, Oct 30, 2011.

1. chickensarefamily2me2

chickensarefamily2me2 Out Of The Brooder

Jul 13, 2011
    I own a five month old Mallard duck, and she was fooling around near my craft station. I heard her briefly chew something. Is there anything I can do if she did swallow a safety pen? It's my little bitty less than an inch long ones.

2. duckyfromoz

duckyfromoz Quackaholic

Jan 11, 2010
    Australia
    If she did swallow it- there are a number of things to watch for. First and the best case scenario- the pin to come out closed in her poop. If she has swallowed the pin and it comes open inside her- it could do some serious damage. Watching her behavior will be important, but again- watch her poop for any signs of blood which could indicate internal injury. Ducks can also suffer from metal poisoning so this is also something to consider. What was the pin made from?

3. chickensarefamily2me2

chickensarefamily2me2 Out Of The Brooder

Jul 13, 2011
    The safety pin is made from nickel plated steel. I've never heard of a safety pin coming open without much force... It takes me forever to get that one open...

4. desertdarlene

desertdarlene Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 4, 2010
    San Diego
    We had someone at the lake mix safety pins into a pile of rice at the lake. I have no idea why, but I don't think the intentions were good. There were pins of all sizes mixed in with the rice. The ducks loved the rice, but, fortunately, avoided the pins. Maybe your duck just played with it and dropped it.

Hoping your ducky turns out OK.

5. Oregon Blues

Oregon Blues Overrun With Chickens

Apr 14, 2011
    Central Oregon
    If it is closed, it will just pass through.

If it is open, very high odds that it will just pass through. The wall of the gut will actually withdraw if it touches something sharp.

So, a lesson to be learned here, but a very good chance your duck will be just fine.

6. RunnerWhisperer

RunnerWhisperer Chillin' With My Peeps

Hopefully if it was consumed it will pass!

I always worry about my two eating something the dogs chew up and leave in the yard. So far they seem to avoid anything weird or unusual.

I have seen them pick things up to check it out and spit it back out and walk away uninterested.

Mine are little pigs in duck suits so if it's not edible they wan't nothing to do with it!

Just in case I crusie the yard daily for chewed up things like balls and toy's left out and pick up all the chewed pieces.

7. warmfuzzyfeelings

warmfuzzyfeelings New Egg

Jul 23, 2011
    I'm not sure if this will give you the same reassurance but I heard recently of a baby who swallowed a safety pin and although it opened it came out with no problems or injury.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by