I think "she" is a "he"!!

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by goatkeepers, Aug 5, 2008.

1. goatkeepers

goatkeepers Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 31, 2008
    Mooresville, NC
    [​IMG] I knew this was going to happen!! I hatched 3 BLRWs a little more than a week ago and got one light one and two darker ones. I wanted a light one soooo bad and was ecstatic when the first one to hatch was a light one.
    I have noticed that in the past few days the light one has acted differently than the two darker ones. It is SO curious and isn't scared of anything. Then yesterday hubby and I had them out inside and it tried to fly up on my leg! [​IMG] None of the others have done that. Then we took them for their first trip to the great outside [​IMG] and it fluttered up on hubby's leg!!
    *sigh* I will post some pictures of our trip outside later, I just wanted to voice my concern. *lol* It's too early to tell by looking at them what sex they are, so the difference in personality is all I am going by. [​IMG]

Thanks for listening.

2. lurky

lurky Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 4, 2007
    Western MA
    [​IMG] You know what???? You worry too much!!!! You worried they were not going to hatch.......then one hatched [​IMG] so you worried no others would hatch....and even went immediately trying to find a chick so yours would not be alone. Then another one hatched [​IMG] and another [​IMG] ......and now at 2 weeks you are worried about one being a rooster [​IMG] I have 4 BLRW chicks that are almost 3 months old and i still cannot tell you if they are male or female. I have one that does things to make me think boy.....but i still see things that say girl too. I am still unsure of all 4 really.....but i dont worry about it, and you cant either. Especially at 2 weeks old. If you dont get a light colored girl, you will get to try again next year [​IMG] so try to enjoy them and remember that you have next spring to try again. I mean....... your going to need something to hatch in the spring [​IMG] Are you going to keep it if its a boy?

3. goldnchocolate

goldnchocolate Chillin' With My Peeps

May 9, 2008
    Massachusetts
    Don't you want a rooster? Then you could hatch out some more BLRW's.

One of my EE chicks acted different than the rest at around 2 weeks old and I suspected it may be a boy and now they are 11 wks old and he IS a boy [​IMG] !! He was bigger than the rest, had thicker legs, had a bolder personality and was a lighter color. All the rest of my EE's are shades of gold and brown/black but the roo is black and white with bits of tan here and there.

4. goatkeepers

goatkeepers Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 31, 2008
    Mooresville, NC
    [​IMG] [​IMG]
    Wendy, you crack me up. [​IMG] You are completely right though. I just need to enjoy them and not worry.
    And then I'll get too attached and it will turn out to be a roo and I'll be so upset when I have to give him up and... [​IMG] I could go on all day. Sorry. [​IMG]

No, unfortunately I can't keep it if it's a roo. [​IMG] Well, unless I find a cheap coop/run somewhere. DH just built the one house for the RIR hens and I don't want to put the roo in there cause we don't want to eat the fertilized eggs (We're vegetarians). So unless I find them a separate coop/run, we won't be able to keep the roo. I'm still searching on craigslist, every couple of days. I'd love to get the run that goats with the chick-n-hutch that we have, but it's too dang expensive. We have a wedding coming up in a couple of months, so funds are tight....

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by