1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

I think she might be a he...

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by jennie1019, Sep 8, 2013.

1. jennie1019

jennie1019 Out Of The Brooder

Aug 15, 2013
    [​IMG]

Hi everyone, I was wondering if someone could tell me if they think this is a rooster. Also is this an easter egger? This is our first time owning chickens and I think that we may have a rooster here. This chicken is about 4 months old... It's name is hawk girl... However it might really need to be hawk boy :)

2. bp11chickens

bp11chickens Out Of The Brooder

Jul 22, 2013
    North West Ohio
    If it was a rooster it would/will have shown roosterish activities.

3. Fred's Hens

Fred's Hens Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

At first blush, the look is black sex link female, but upon closer examination, it is an interesting bird. I see a kind of rose comb, white ear lobes and other features that leave me stymied. I don't know all the various breeds very well. That said, the look is very pullet like. I don't see any distinguishing male features, at this point. 16 weeks is too young for the "egg" test. Many birds do not lay until 6 months of age.

4. jennie1019

Aug 15, 2013
    Thanks for your input!! We got the chickens from the hardware store this spring so we don't know the breeds we ended up with, lol. I know that comb color and size aren't always determining factors in sex, but this chicken is the only one that had a really red comb. I find all of this interesting and it is fun to learn along the way!!

5. ChickensAreSweet

ChickensAreSweet Heavenly Grains for Hens

That is a pullet as far as I can tell...I don't know the breed.

6. Veer67

Veer67 Chillin' With My Peeps

She looks like a rose comb brown leghorn to me. [​IMG] http://www.feathersite.com/Poultry/CGK/Leghorns/BRKLeghorns.html

Last edited: Sep 8, 2013
  7. Kelsie2290

Kelsie2290 True BYC Addict Premium Member

Feb 18, 2011
    Ohio
    She looks to me like she might be a Rose Comb Brown Leghorn, some commercial hatcheries like McMurray do sell them, so it is possible you could find them in a feed or hardware store.

8. jennie1019

Aug 15, 2013
    Thanks everyone!! She does look like a rose comb brown leghorn... I googled some pictures :)

9. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    Yep,rose comb brown leghorn.She'll lay you lots of nice white eggs. Once you google pics, you can see the big difference in coloring of male and female, also.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by