1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

I think she's a roo

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by redheadfarmer, Oct 30, 2011.

1. redheadfarmer

redheadfarmer Out Of The Brooder

Oct 20, 2011
    SW Ontario
    We brought 4 Ameraucauna chicks home from a "Feather and Fur" sale 4 weeks ago. We were told they were 4 weeks old and that it was luck of the draw with sexing them. So we crossed our fingers. The black one acted like a roo from the very beginning. But now, I think we got it wrong. He might be a she and the other chick may be the rooster.

What do you think?

[​IMG]
    Smoke....looking like a roo based on tail feathers and comb

[​IMG]
    Ink....thinking he may be a she

[​IMG]
    Chick#3

[​IMG]
    Smoke in front with Chick #4 beside.

Would really love to be wrong and have 4 pullets in the making...please, please!

2. greenegglover

greenegglover Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 14, 2009
    Indiana
    The first one is screaming roo.....others look like pullets, but no guarantee from me...LOL!

But the seller misrepresented those chickens. Those are mixed breeds...aka Easter Eggers, but just as much fun to own!

Edited to add....BYC's refer to them as EE's so you understand some of the slang on here.

Last edited: Oct 30, 2011
  3. redheadfarmer

redheadfarmer Out Of The Brooder

Oct 20, 2011
    SW Ontario
    Quote:Thanks! How do you tell EE from Ameraucaunas?

4. greenegglover

greenegglover Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 14, 2009
    Indiana
    Color, size, legs, beard/muffs

Easy to tell. I started in EE's but have since switched to Ameracaunas, but for a backyard flock that your not breeding EE's are fantastic birds. Im going to start hatching Ameracaunas in the spring.

5. Lothiriel

Lothiriel Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Aug 30, 2007
    New York State
    My Coop
    Yep. Smoke is 100% cockerel. The rest are pullets.

The difference between an EE and an Ameraucana.. Check out these links.
    What are Easter Egg chickens? http://www.ameraucana.org/faq.html#TWO
    Standard
    of Perfection http://www.ameraucana.org/standard.html
    Some
    pictures of Ameraucanas http://www.ameraucana.org/scrapbook.html

I
    think the main difference is in the color. Ameraucanas have a standard of what colors they can be to be a true Ameraucana. EEs have many, many different color possibilities. Also, true Ameraucanas can only be obtained through a breeder, because they are carefully bred to keep the SOP. Hatcheries sell EEs by falsely advertizing them as Ameraucanas.

6. Little One

Little One Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 9, 2011
    SE Virginia
    Smoke looks like a cockerel. Not just by the comb, but I think I see some dark red feathering coming through on his wings? (A common trait on black & white EE roosters.) The rest should be pullets.

7. Peachesbabychick

Peachesbabychick Chillin' With My Peeps

Wow smoke is gorgeous! I mean....handsome! All very pretty birds! [​IMG]

8. JodyJo

JodyJo Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 27, 2010
    Colorado
    I agree....I have a girl that looks just like Ink...2 girls one boy....(red on wings, a give away)

9. jbourget

jbourget Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 4, 2008
    CT
    Quote:yea

10. debid

debid Overrun With Chickens

Jan 20, 2011
    middle TN
    Ah, much better pictures this time. Smoke is a definitely a cockerel and the others are pullets. The dark red on the shoulder is a sure sign even if he didn't have the pink comb or curling tail feathers yet. He'll be pretty! And really, 3 out of 4 isn't bad for not knowing what to look for!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by