I think she's broody... questions about nesting

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by Mikhail, Apr 12, 2009.

1. Mikhail

Mikhail Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 13, 2008
    I think my duck is trying to incubate eggs, which is surprising since she's a Pekin. She has made a little nest and has 1 egg in the nest. It would be fine if she only hatched 1-2 but I can't have several ducklings. Is there any chance AT ALL that she won't lay many more eggs?? I know usually they'll lay 1 egg a day and then start nesting after there's about 10 eggs.. but mine seems to be laying on the nest nearly 24/7 as far as I can tell and there's only 1 egg.

IF she does have a whole clutch of eggs, can I replace all but 1-2 eggs with easter eggs so they don't all hatch? Or replace some of the eggs with old eggs that have been frozen (to ensure they won't hatch)?

Also, I know you aren't supposed to disturb them, so would it be bad to vacuum in the same room or anywhere near the nest?

2. goosedragon

goosedragon Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 28, 2009
    Central NC
    You didn't mention a drake, do you have one? No drake, No babies!

3. Mikhail

Nov 13, 2008
    Yeah, she's housed with a drake. He mates her a lot, so I'm sure the eggs would be fertilized.

I noticed she's also acting different. She's quacking really loudly when I'm in the room and she's just acting really fussy. Nothing like her normal self, she hardly ever quacks. Plus she's shredding newspaper. Does nesting/being broody cause this?

4. goosedragon

Mar 28, 2009
    Central NC
    Yep sounds like a nesting duck alright. Birth control for birds is easy, just steal the excess eggs. If she ever goes broody (most Pekin will nest, few set the nest) you can decide how many you want to let her try to hatch.

5. TheDuckCrew

TheDuckCrew Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 21, 2009
    Connecticut
    it sure does sound like she's broody. but if you don't want some to hatch, just take them out from under her. you are so lucky if she is broody! i wish my pekin hen would do that, instead we had to build a incubator!

6. Mikhail

Nov 13, 2008
    But wouldn't stealing most of the eggs only cause her to lay more so she'll have a full clutch? I'm afraid that would also cause her to stop laying on them too.

What is the difference between set and nest?

7. goosedragon

Mar 28, 2009
    Central NC
    Ok when they nest they pick a location to return to lay their eggs. (otherwise they pretty much let them drop where ever) they often make nests to hold and protect the eggs. They would like you and other birds to stay away from the nest.
    Set is when they quit laying eggs and set on them to hatch them (also called going broody) As long as she is still laying she is not really seting them.

8. Mikhail

Nov 13, 2008
    Hmm it seems she has already set because she's laying on the one little egg like 24/7. She hasn't laid in several days now, i think.

9. erijn5

erijn5 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 8, 2008
    South Central IL
    On one of my hens, she went broody, but other hens were going in and laying eggs with her in the box also..so I moved her one day and took a marker and made a line on all the ones I wanted her to have, and then everyday I check to make sure that no other hen has layed with her, and if they have then they do not have the mark on them.
    So I would put a mark on the eggs so you know which eggs you want her to keep and which ones you want to remove. Just in case she is still laying you'll know the difference. Good luck!! I love my Pekins Mable and Charlie!

[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by