I think some of them are going to lay eggs early

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by mjdtexan, Feb 5, 2009.

1. mjdtexan

mjdtexan Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 30, 2008
    Houston(ish)
    I am noticing a color change in some of the pullets waddles (wattles?) and combs. They seem to be getting darker in color. A couple of them are starting to pay attention to the nesting areas.
    They are 14 weeks old yesterday.

Mike D

2. katrinag

katrinag Chillin' With My Peeps

It can be a couple weeks +/- after the wattles and combs turn red before they lay. I have 2 brahmas turn red 2 months ago and still noo eggs.
    It just depends.

3. GaDawg

GaDawg Chillin' With My Peeps

May 16, 2008
    North GA
    you never know when they are going to start laying... they like to surprise you [​IMG]

4. ghulst

ghulst Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 31, 2008
    Zeeland Michigan
    Little young however you bought the best production chicken that you can fine. If you have lights on them I would turn them off until about 20+ weeks old. Pushing them is bad in the long run.

5. Davaroo

Davaroo Poultry Crank

Feb 4, 2007
    Leesville, SC
    Quote:Right around the corner.

Start looking for the color of their ear flaps, eye rims, beak (and legs, if they are a light skinned breed) to wash out and pale. That is the sign that they are producing yolks, as the yolk takes the melanin from their skin to produce it's characteristic yellow color.
    When you see them "whiten up" as they used to say in the old days, then egg laying is only a week or less away.

BTW, this is one of the ways to tell if a hen/pullet is in lay.

6. mjdtexan

Sep 30, 2008
    Houston(ish)
    Quote:Right around the corner.

Start looking for the color of their ear flaps, eye rims, beak (and legs, if they are a light skinned breed) to wash out and pale. That is the sign that they are producing yolks, as the yolk takes the melanin from their skin to produce it's characteristic yellow color.
    When you see them "whiten up" as they used to say in the old days, then egg laying is only a week or less away.

BTW, this is one of the ways to tell if a hen/pullet is in lay.

Thanks, you learn something every day.

7. chickenfever

chickenfever Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 22, 2008
    Arizona
    Do you have any current pictures of your gold stars? I just ordered some from Ideal coming next month. Would be neat to see what they will look like.

Last edited: Feb 5, 2009
  8. mjdtexan

Sep 30, 2008
    Houston(ish)
    Quote:Here are all of the sexlinks at 11 weeks old. They came from Ideal as well.

PHOTOS <------Klick

9. chickenfever

chickenfever Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 22, 2008
    Arizona
    Very pretty girls, thank you!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by