I think somebody has tried to break in

Discussion in 'Family Life - Stories, Pictures & Updates' started by Tala, Oct 31, 2009.

1. Tala

Tala Flock Mistress

I have noticed within the past two days my back door deadbolt has suddenly gotten hard to remove the key from.

It's a nice Kwikset deadbolt (like, not the cheapest model, but not the pricy quick-rekey one either) that I just installed, last spring. It shouldn't be wearing out!

I might think maybe the weather got to it, but the area next to the door stays pretty dry so the lock should be fairly protected from the elements. Any other ideas?

I know I stuck the key to MIL's house in it once not long ago, but would that be enough to screw it up?

I'm afraid somebody tried to break in, especially given the recent theft of my chickens. I wonder why not just kick the door in or bust a window though. Weird.

I guess it's kinda been a bad week around here.

2. Elite Silkies

Elite Silkies Overrun With Chickens

Jun 17, 2009
    Oklahoma
    My Coop
    I had a dead bolt mess up pretty quickly, but I also have kids that do not shut the door properly.

I sure hope someone didn't try to break in.

3. Tala

Tala Flock Mistress

Quote:I assume you mean slamming the door?
    Or slamming it with the deadbolt already "locked" ?
    Something of that nature?

Ours isn't abused in any way that I can tell, like I said it doesn't even really get wet. The only thing I could think of that I/we did was when I put MIL's key in it once, but trying the wrong key never hurt MIL's locks (heaven knows FIL never can remember which key goes where!)

4. Elite Silkies

Elite Silkies Overrun With Chickens

Jun 17, 2009
    Oklahoma
    My Coop
    Well, they don't slam the door, but they do not turn the knob when shutting the door. So, I assuming that is what messed mine up.

I don't think putting the wrong key in would tear one up, unless it got stuck and you had a hard time getting it out.

5. Tala

Tala Flock Mistress

Quote:My deadbolt isn't in anyway connected to the doorknob. It's the kind with a lever thingy on the inside.

Nope, the other key came right back out easy and that was probably over a week ago --- I didn't notice mine being hard until just the past couple of days.

6. jbowen9

jbowen9 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 10, 2009
    southwest Virginia
    Go to lowe's or hd and buy powdered graphite at lowe's it is at the hardware desk spray some in your lock and if that dont help it take it back and get you another one that locks has a open return authurization on them and normally a good lock

7. CityGirlintheCountry

CityGirlintheCountry Green Eggs and Hamlet

Jul 7, 2007
    Middle TN
    Be careful with the graphite though. It makes a HUGE mess and is really slippery. I had to use some on the padlocks I use on the coops. Worked like a charm despite the mess.

8. Tala

Tala Flock Mistress

Quote:I have used honing oil on padlocks, but I'm out.

9. jbowen9

jbowen9 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 10, 2009
    southwest Virginia
    yeah it dont take much graphite to do the trick and it wont freeze during the winter or wash out of a lock

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by