I Think Someone Is Stealing My Eggs!!

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Picky Chicky, Jan 6, 2009.

1. Picky Chicky

Picky Chicky Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 22, 2008
    Holly Grove, VA
    I got to thinking. Do you think chickens get ticked off when we go in and steal all of their hard work? Now keep in mind, I'm still a new chicken momma, so I'm still trying to get over the mental block of just eating what I perceive as coming out of my chicken's butt! [​IMG] But this morning I couldn't help but to feel a little guilty when I grabbed a freshly laid, still warm egg that my EE laid.

What really got me wondering was when she laid an egg a day or two ago and I watched her quietly go into the nest box... look around... and then proceed to walk back out. Now I translated in my mind what she must be thinking... [email protected]! It's gone again! I think someone is stealing my eggs!! [​IMG]

2. lurky

lurky Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 4, 2007
    Western MA
    Well, I dont know any better than you on that, but i know what you mean. I guess you could put a couple fake eggs in there so you would always be leaving something behind [​IMG] Or maybe if they are new layers, they might think its time.....then get there and realize its not yet. Maybe seeing another egg in the nest helps them get in the mood [​IMG]

3. lauralou

lauralou Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 10, 2007
    Central Virginia
    That's funny! I have a couple of chickens who will not shut up until I come out and praise them for the egg they just laid. After I pet them, praise them, and take the egg, they are happy and shut up. It seems to me that they know they are being good girls and laying an egg for momma. But that's just my crazy, spoiled chickens. [​IMG]

4. Picky Chicky

Picky Chicky Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 22, 2008
    Holly Grove, VA
    Quote:Lauralou - I love your avatar picture - what a riot!!

Ok, I didn't want to mention it in the first post, but I do talk to my chickens. I'll tell them what good girls they are when they lay me an egg... but I also teasingly fuss at them when I don't get anything. I'm 'special'. [​IMG]

5. Chickenaddict

Chickenaddict Chillin' With My Peeps

May 19, 2008
    East Bethel MN
    Mine don't shut up either after laying the eggs and before, they want me to go dig a freaking nest for them.... now thats spoiled [​IMG]

6. Mrs.Puff

Mrs.Puff Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 16, 2008
    Southern Iowa
    chicken addict-- What's a BR packing peanuts?

7. Chickenaddict

May 19, 2008
    East Bethel MN
    When i ordered chicks from ideal they sent 9 barred rock roosters to help keep the banties warm during shipping. Just what i needed, more roos!!! Turns out over half the order i placed also turned out to be roosters i got 5 hens out of 14 chicks. I hatched some seramas around the same time as i got these chicks, out of 12 serama eggs i got 7 more roos. Its a madhouse around here lol.

8. lauralou

lauralou Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 10, 2007
    Central Virginia
    AVandrie,

Thanks for the compliment on my avatar. The photographer really got a nice shot of my good side! [​IMG]

9. Mrs.Puff

Mrs.Puff Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 16, 2008
    Southern Iowa
    Thanks for the explanation chickenaddict. Sounds like my flock. My little Mrs. puff hatched 6 eggs in her first batch this summer, and 5 were roos.

10. Chickenaddict

May 19, 2008
    East Bethel MN
    Your welcome [​IMG] Yep seems to me last year sure felt like the year of the rooster to alot of us. Hopefully this year will be better [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by