I think someone stole my turkey

RedIII

Songster
8 Years
Nov 30, 2011
Tooele, Utah
Like the subject line says. I have three turkeys in a run in the back yard. One got out during a bad storm last night and I can't catch her unless it's dark. She was in the back yard when I left this afternoon to take my brother to his job. Got back, turkey's nowhere to be found. Other two turkeys are pacing the run and crying for her. Given the time of year it is, I'm pretty sure someone grabbed her while I was gone. I feel so, so sick right now. The other two turkeys are intended for the table next year, but the one that got (grabbed)? was my pet and would never have been eaten. Guess that's not so anymore.

Ugh!

If someone was going to steal a turkey they probably get a caged one not a loose one. It probably just wandered off.

I'm with BJLReptiles, could have wandered off. But, they usually like to stay close to the others (sticking tight to the outside of the fence). Don't know what the `density' of potential human preds vs. other species of preds is in your neck of the woods is, but I'd guess the human pred would have probably gone for the two that were the easiest to take (fenced up for `packaging'). I'd be checking with all neighbors and looking for feathers.

Hope you find her!

Turkeys don't wander off if they are fed and watered regularly. My guess is that it got taken, but not by someone passing by. Even if you never see wild animals, doesn't mean they aren't around. I'd say a wild animal had an early Thanksgiving dinner.

I live on a half acre lot in a city with fences everywhere. I've seen this particular turkey fly over a couple of the lower ones, but she can't get high enough to make it over some of the six-footers. She was hanging out in the back yard near the run where the other turkeys were today, no problem. I was gone maybe 45 minutes at most, and when I got back, I couldn't find her anywhere in our yard or in any of the neighboring yards. I even asked a couple of neighbors who were outside and they said they hadn't seen her.

I'm forced to believe that either someone grabbed her from the yard (our back yard has fairly open access right now) or a dog could have taken her. The problem with the second possibility, though, is that I didn't see any feathers or signs of blood anywhere I looked, let alone a carcass. I even drove around a couple of the nearby streets looking for her. I'm sick over it. Setting aside that this was my pet, turkeys aren't even in season! Nice to know that I've been feeding her for a year and a half so someone else could have a dinner at my expense.

Thanks for the additional info. on the local putative vermin populations. What would give me some hope is the fact that she's not fond of being grabbed up (you have to wait until dark to get her). Just before sundown, listen for any hen `congregation' calls (plaintive whoot-whoot) in the distance (also check trees in area, for roosting, with binoculars around the same time). I'd also call cops/animal control to see if anyone has reported a turkey in their yard.

I'd put up some cameras as you have two more meals available.

Good luck!

Last edited:
Thank you for the suggestions! I appreciate it.

An update on the situation - We live on a hill, and I noticed today that a neighbor behind us left their gate wide open, which is a normal thing for them. Their dog was wandering around in the street in front of their house, and I've noticed this dog running around several other times in the last couple of weeks. I wonder if that's what happened to my vanished turkey? It would make me feel better in a way, but also nervous because our yard isn't totally fenced in yet and I worry about the dog coming into our yard.

In fairness to the neighbors, they might have been keeping the dog in their back yard and he/she has found a way to escape into the front yard while they're away. If this keeps happening, I might try to watch and see how the dog is getting out, if possible, and then approach the neighbors and talk to them about it. I'm sure they're aware that their dog has been getting out, but I don't know if they're doing anything about it. I have no idea if this dog had anything to do with my turkey disappearing, but if I see it in our yard going after the remaining birds, it won't look good.

oh my gosh!!!! that's so terrible!!! I just live a couple streets away from u, ill check around for any signs of a local raised turkey (I had to specify because there is a packaged up Thanksgiving turkey on the kitchen table, and I don't believe that counts).

Another update. A neighbor from four streets away told us that she had showed up in his back yard. We went to catch her, she ran down the street and across at least two roof tops, and then flew off and we can't find her. So at least she's alive (for now) I'm notifying neighbors in the area to let me know if they see a turkey in their yard, so we'll see what happens.

Back
Top Bottom