i think something is VERY wrong

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by wildriverswolf90, Aug 9, 2011.

1. wildriverswolf90

wildriverswolf90 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 4, 2011
    polk county, NC
    My friend and I saw a sign for free chicks, the chicks are at least 6 weeks old very skinny and smell. The wire cage was covered in poop. [​IMG] the smaller one is so skinny she can barely stand. [​IMG]. My ? Can I bathe them and what can I feed them to make them gain weight? I'm SO MAD

2. suki'smom

suki'smom Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 4, 2011
    Central Wisconsin
    Once they lose weight it can be a challenge to get it back but honestly the best thing to feed them is medicated chick starter. It has a everything they need and even has antibiotics in it to help them from getting ill. You can put some sugar in their water (half cup per gallon is good) and give them some baby vitamins with no iron. 6 week old chicks are pretty tough so if they've made it this far in awful conditions they should blossom in your loving care. Good Luck and keep us posted [​IMG]

3. Wolftalk

Wolftalk Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 1, 2011
    The Coop :)
    Call Animal Control!!!!!!! They Can Get Into Big Trouble For Animal Niglect!!!!!

Please Please Please Call! Think Of The Chicks You Can Save!!! They Deserve A Better Life!!!!

Just Tell Them The Adress And They Will Go Check It Out!!!!

Please Please Please Call!!!!!

4. wildriverswolf90

Aug 4, 2011
    polk county, NC
    I did call yesterday. We drove by the house today and all the other chicks were gone! YAY! But can I bathe the two I saved?

5. Wolftalk

Aug 1, 2011
    i dont know for sure but i think if you use like Mane&Tail (something really gental) you should be ok to wash the bacteria from the poop off them. correct me if im wrong. just make sure they dont get cold. can you post pics?

6. michiele

michiele Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 29, 2011
    Broken Arrow, OK
    I don't know if you can bath them or not, but you could try a mister. We mist our birds in the heat. I usually grab the mister and get it real close to them so they are pretty wet at that point. A few days of that and they should be smelling much better. You can definitely dip their feet in some water to clean them off. I do that with my 1 week old chicks when they step in their friend's newly laid gift. Best wishes

7. spiritdance

spiritdance Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 13, 2010
    Bathe away! People bathe chickens for shows, pest control, etc., all the time. I use Dawn dish liquid or a flea and tick shampoo labeled for kittens. Let the shampoo sit on them for about 5 minutes then rinse really well. My chickens love to be blow dried afterwards, too. Just make sure you don't put them in the direct path of any air conditioners while they're wet and they'll be fine.

8. wildriverswolf90

Aug 4, 2011
    polk county, NC
    I don't know how to post pics with my cell phone

9. Wolftalk

Aug 1, 2011
    ok [​IMG] well, keep us posted!!!!!

10. wildriverswolf90

Aug 4, 2011
    polk county, NC
    Oh no no no, I just went in to check on them and the lil 1 is dead [​IMG]. The other 1 is trying to sleep by her. [​IMG]. Why do mean peopl have to keep pets, If u don't love or u can't care for them u shouldn't have them [​IMG] [​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 9, 2011

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by