I think something scared my girls today.

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by coolcanoechic, Feb 8, 2012.

1. coolcanoechic

coolcanoechic Chillin' With My Peeps

I came home from work, and as I always do, I went out to give the girls a treat and let them out for a bit. As always, they were bouncing off the door of the run to be let out and get their treat. They ran out and ate their treats and then turned around and went back into their run and hung out in the shadows in the corner while I did the cleaning. Hmmmm. They never do that. They usually spend time in the yard doing their chicken scratching thing while I'm out there with them. I think something paid them a visit today. I'm glad my coop and run are bomb proof!

2. GoldDogsMom

GoldDogsMom Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 10, 2011
    Indiana, PA
    They can get spooked... I had asked my FIL to put the girls "to bed" one night that I was away and they wouldn't go in the coop! My theory is he went out before "bedtime" and looked in the coop and they had "Stranger Anxiety" then and were afraid to go in! [​IMG] Never happened before and never since!

3. sherylreno

sherylreno Chillin' With My Peeps

May 13, 2011
    Reno, Nevada
    One of my hens wouldn't come out of the coop at all. She refused to even go into the secured run a few weeks ago. I couldn't figure it out until I saw a Great Horned Owl in a tree several yards from my backyard. She finally came out once I locked everyone back into the run and waited for the owl to fly away.

I opened the run and everyone including her came out and free ranged.

4. coolcanoechic

Hmm, we do have owls....great horned owls, but I have not seen them for a while.

5. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    A visit by a hawk would have the same effect upon your flock.

6. Mattemma

Mattemma Overrun With Chickens

Aug 12, 2009
    My girld would not come out of the coop due to a hawk.Roo saw the hawk and was screaming.That was enough to keep the girls in or near the coop.

7. coolcanoechic

Something has been spooking them. Again, yesterday, when I let them out for their treat and to scratch around, Roxie went right back into the run and Shirley stayed very close to my feet. Then Roxie made a trilling sound and Shirley high tailed it right back into the run. I looked everywhere and could not see a thing. No hawks in the sky or trees that I could see and no animals anywhere.
    I'm sure their senses are much better than mine, because they would not come back out of the run, and Roxy kept making that noise.

8. ZoeS95423

ZoeS95423 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 17, 2011
    When any kind of a big bird, even a crow flies over my yard, all the ducks and chickens will hide under the bushes, and the back porch. Theyve never been attacked by them ( that I know of) but I am glad they are smart enough to hide anyway. :p

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by