I think that my dog is a hatchaholic

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by horsejody, Oct 21, 2009.

1. horsejody

horsejody Squeaky Wheel

Feb 11, 2008
    Waterloo, Nebraska
    My dog, Leo, loves baby chicks. He will sit and stare at them. It seems to be very relaxing for him. He will also sit and stare into the bator window when it's in use. Every day when I bring in the eggs, Leo seems so happy. He wants to sniff them, and he prances around. When I put them in the fridge, you can see the look of disappointment on his face. His little tails goes from curled up over his back and wagging to drooping on the floor. He sometimes even walks into the bathroom (thats where we set up the bator) and sits there like he is waiting for me to bring the eggs in. When I do hatch, he has an uncanny ability to monitor. He saved my hatch more than once by waking me up in the middle of the night because the temperature was spiking or crashing. He doesn't seem to know too much about the humidity changes, but he is spot on about the temperature. I think I'm going to have to fill the incubator soon. It's not for me. It's for Leo's sake.

2. silkypie

silkypie Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 17, 2009
    Plant City, FL
    "I think I'm going to have to fill the incubator soon. It's not for me. It's for Leo's sake."

Sure thing [​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 21, 2009
  3. gumpsgirl

gumpsgirl Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Mar 25, 2008
    Virginia
    That's pretty cute Jody! [​IMG]

4. Happy Chooks

Happy Chooks Moderator Staff Member

Jul 9, 2009
    Northern CA
    My Coop
    Quote:Uh huh, sure. [​IMG]

Happy hatching. (for Leo of course)

5. carriehelene

carriehelene Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 9, 2009
    Capital Region NY
    Well, we don't want Leo to be unhappy, now do we. Get that bator filled up quick Jody, Leo is lonely for new chicks.

6. horsejody

horsejody Squeaky Wheel

Feb 11, 2008
    Waterloo, Nebraska
    I'm not kidding. The dog is the only one in the house that checks the incubator more than I do when it's running. It's really wierd. We did figure out how he knows about the temp fluctuations in the bator with the wafer. It makes a slight clicking noise as it goes on and off. We think that Leo notices when the clicking pattern isn't right. He would actually wake me up by standing on me or pawing my arm. Then he would run into the bathroom and stare at the incubator. Everytime he did that, the temp was off. Whenever I woke up on my own and checked it while the dog laid in bed like a sleeping zombie, the temp was always fine. When the silkies hatched, we put them in a brooder box with sides low enough that he could sit and stare at them. It was cute to see a little fluffy dog dog staring at 3 tiny little fluffy chicks staring back at him. Maybe they were hypnotizing him so that he could do their evil bidding. After all, they were silkies.

7. Wildsky

Wildsky Wild Egg!

Oct 13, 2007
    California
    Quote:[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] he's hungry for an omlet!!! [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

8. Wildsky

Wildsky Wild Egg!

Oct 13, 2007
    California
    Quote:He's wondering how long they take to cook ! [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

9. horsejody

horsejody Squeaky Wheel

Feb 11, 2008
    Waterloo, Nebraska
    Quote:[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] he's hungry for an omlet!!! [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

If I get out the frying pan and crack one in it, the tail does come back up because I always share with him, but he really is strangely fascinated with the bator. He has never attacked a chick, but he loves to watch them. Once when DD came to visit and brought her dog, her dog killed a chick. That was the day that Leo had his first grand mal seizure, and he still hates that dog.

10. buglit

buglit Out Of The Brooder

Jan 14, 2009
    Hendersonville, NC
    I have got to see this, please send us a video!! Would probably be a hit on Youtube. What kind of dog is Leo?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by