1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

I think that my rooster has Pneumonia (HELP )

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Windymeadows1, Dec 8, 2009.

1. Windymeadows1

Windymeadows1 Out Of The Brooder

Jun 6, 2009
    Deer Park
    Two weeks ago I notest that my Phinex rooster had a gergaly rasp. I brot him in to my shop to heat him up and I vaper rubed him, Vetrx him and Oxine him. No chang in his condition. So I also started him on yogert and apple sider viniger in his woter. His condition has gotten more saver. Now He smells rilly bad and has pus coming out of his eyes fome from his mouth and lose of hunger. And having truble breathing. Can anyone help time is running out for him. I don't have a lote of monny right know so home reamedys would be great. you can also email me [email protected] Thank you agean!!!!!

Last edited: Dec 8, 2009
  2. backdoorchicken

backdoorchicken Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 14, 2009
    newport news va
    pneumonia?

3. somochixphan

somochixphan New Egg

Jul 13, 2009
    tri moar woter

4. Windymeadows1

Windymeadows1 Out Of The Brooder

Jun 6, 2009
    Deer Park
    That is Moar water? never heard of it

5. bywaterdog

bywaterdog Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 29, 2008
    N.O.L.A.
    Try to keep him away from your other birds, make sure that he is warm and well fed and watered. Hope he makes it.

Last edited: Dec 8, 2009
  6. ole-crone

ole-crone Chillin' With My Peeps

Sad - Sounds like you have one sick rooster and you did all you could to try to help. Our old duck was very sick - mucous draining out of eyes and mouth, etc. I thought for sure he'd die - but he surprised me and is still alive a couple of years later. Keep your poor guy as warm and comfortable as possible and if the worst happens - at least you tried. In the meantime - I'd leave the yogurt out of his diet. He is full of mucous since dairy products can make it worse.

If they don't answer your question: I think "moar woter" = more water.

Good luck!

7. Qi Chicken

Qi Chicken Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 3, 2009
    Hi Windymeadows--So sorry about your rooster. I am an herbalist and agree with ole-crone--dairy products do increase mucous. This isn't exactly my area but there are some plant based antibiotics you could try....Garlic might be #1 because it is easy to get and chop up although if he has lost his appetite it will be harder to give to him. Maybe in some scrambled eggs? Goldenseal is another one that is often used for respiratory infections. Astragalus is another one but don't know if you can find it. If you have an herbalist that does Chinese herbal formulas in your area you can PM me and I'll tell you what to ask for. Good luck with him.

8. Qi Chicken

Qi Chicken Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 3, 2009
    my email wouldn't go through to yours so here is my reply.......

Goldenseal and astragalus are both plants that act like antibiotics. When mucous turns yellow and smells bad there is probably an infection and these will help him. Write down those names and take them to the store or better just tell them about your rooster --they can help you I am sure. Try to find out how much he weighs...that will help them know how much medicine to give him. Good luck---email again if you have any other questions!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by