I think the broody fairy has decided to visit us.

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by sheila3935, Mar 24, 2011.

1. sheila3935

sheila3935 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 10, 2010
    Stonington, illinois
    Today I noticed one of our australorps was in the nest most of the day. Sometimes they take awhile to lay so I didnt think much of it. When I went to lock them up she was still in the nest with a far away look in her eye. I put a little feed and some peas in the nest with her and closed the door. I decided to check on her a few minutes ago and she is still there with the same look. She did eat the peas and feed though. Guess I will check in the morning to see if she is still there. I have no idea how many eggs she is on but I may add a couple if she really is broody.

2. hennyannie

hennyannie Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 12, 2011
    North Carolina
    My RIR bit me twice today while I was collecting eggs. She did not want to give them up. She is always so sweet. I guess the 82 degree weather has her thinking mommy thoughts. I did not think they were the broody type, but she is in the box right now with her wooden "babies".

3. ralleia

ralleia Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 22, 2011
    Omaha, NE
    CONGRATS!

Is she in a location where other hens won't be able to take her place when she gets up once a day to eat and drink? That's the one real problem we have had with the hens incubating their eggs--disruption by other hens, and then the broody doesn't find her way back to the right nest and the eggs get chilled.

Our black Australorps are the most consistently broody among our hens, and the best mothers. I use them routinely to adopt mail-order chicks (timed to arrive at the three-week point). One of mine mothers up to 25 chicks at a time. Another time, I had two go broody at once. I split the 25 between the two hens, and then THIRD black Australorp (who hadn't shown any signs of broodiness before) chicknapped one of the chicks and raised it as her own. They're a great pleasure as momma hens.

Our most consistent mothers get banded with special bands so we never mix them up. Those will never be culled--their mothering skills are worth much more than mere egg-laying!

4. sheila3935

Jul 10, 2010
    Stonington, illinois
    they have 2 boxes that they use the most and she is in the most popular. What should I do? This is my first time with one going broody. Also the one she is in is up high can I move her and the eggs or leave her for a few days then move her or wait til hatch then move her. Sorry so many questions.

5. ralleia

Mar 22, 2011
    Omaha, NE
    Quote:I've had very poor success with leaving them on the boxes. One managed to hatch out a couple, but the musical nestbox drill has sabotaged efforts for the past three years. Hence the chick orders because I could not STAND to disappoint my mothers-in-waiting.

This is what I'm planning to try as soon as the weather warms up enough for me to do some lumberwork in the henhouse: "Broody boxes" http://www.themodernhomestead.us/article/Broody-Hens-2.html

I
    think that you're going to HAVE to attempt to move her to an area segregated from the rest of hens, or she will fail, and you'll feel bad about it. You'll want a very roomy nest box on or near the floor. I sometimes use plastic playpen panels to improvise a makeshift holding pen within the main coop.

Also look up egg-candling--you will WANT to do this in order to make sure that the eggs are fertile and developing. It sounds more difficult than it is. It's actually quite interesting and fun, and it spares you and the hen worrying over eggs that are duds.

6. sheila3935

Jul 10, 2010
    Stonington, illinois
    I've hatched eggs many times in the incubator but this is the first time for a broody momma. we have a small coop that I could put in the coop on the floor for her do you think this would work.
    [​IMG]

7. ralleia

Mar 22, 2011
    Omaha, NE
    Quote:What are the dimensions of the coop? It looks like it should work. That directions I'm planning to follow for constructing one from scratch says that it should be at least 24 X 30.

8. Rennie

Rennie Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 28, 2009
    Derbyshire, England
    could you please send the broody fairy my way [​IMG] -- she can choose any of my girls to wave the wand over [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by