I think the egg was fertile.

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by I have WHAT in my yard?, Dec 7, 2008.

1. I have WHAT in my yard?

I have WHAT in my yard? Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 24, 2008
    Eggberg, PA
    We cracked our very first egg this morning and I think the egg was fertile.

It is hard to tell if any of the hens have gone broody, but I suspect not as they all got out of the coop and stayed out for a while...

If they go broody do they just keep on laying eggs to add to the batch? If they have a batch how come they still all hatch around the same time??

I know, I know, I'm a city girl I really have never seen this all before!

2. Mahonri

Mahonri Urban Desert Chicken Enthusiast Premium Member

May 14, 2008
    North Phoenix
    My Coop
    If they are broody, you will know it. They'll stay in that nest day and night and they'll puff up their feathers and perhaps even try to peck you if you put your hand under them to check for eggs.

3. Mojo Chick'n

Mojo Chick'n Empress of Chickenville

I have WHAT in my yard? :

We cracked our very first egg this morning and I think the egg was fertile.

It is hard to tell if any of the hens have gone broody, but I suspect not as they all got out of the coop and stayed out for a while...

If they go broody do they just keep on laying eggs to add to the batch? If they have a batch how come they still all hatch around the same time??

I know, I know, I'm a city girl I really have never seen this all before!

The eggs don't begin to develop until they have the proper heat and humidity (when a hen sits on them for long periods, or if you incubate them) until then, they are dormant, more or less.

A broody will usually lay about 7 eggs before she stays on the nest full time, but often you can tell that she wants to go broody by the amount of time spent on the nest, or if she sits on a fake egg for long periods of time.

eta - I second, also, what Mahonri said - you will definately know if a hen is broody if you try to take her off the nest or gather eggs out from under her [​IMG]

Meri​

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 7, 2008
  4. justhatchin

justhatchin Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 5, 2008
    Galva, Kansas
    When they do start setting they generally stop laying.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by