I think the little eggys died! UPDATE they are all dead!! :(

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by chick_newbie, Apr 9, 2009.

1. chick_newbie

chick_newbie Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 15, 2008
    South Dakota
    This is my 3rd attempt to hatch, first one failed totally, second was a success if you don't count my human mistake, but now this one seems to have failed, maybe!

I have 3 cinnamon queen and 6 speckled sussex eggs on day 21 today and there isn't any sort of pipping or movement or anything going on. I know that they were alive on day 18 as we saw movement in all the eggs that made it this far. They were all shipped eggs but arrived safely with no cracks. Started with 13 cinnamon queens and 12 speckled sussex eggs. Only about 4 eggs were infertile. Most had started and then just stopped in the first couple days.

I was getting excited to add to my flock and this seemed the best way since my local chicken place doesn't get very many different breeds.

Does anyone out there have any suggestions? I really can't take the waiting and not hearing or seeing anything makes me wonder what is going on.........

Last edited: Apr 12, 2009
  2. gumpsgirl

gumpsgirl Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Mar 25, 2008
    Virginia
    There are many factors that could make them hatch late, so don't throw in the towel on them just yet! I know my BBS Orps. always pip late on day 21 and most of the time it is closer to day 22. So sit tight and give them a chance to make their entrance, especially since you saw movement in the eggs on day 18. [​IMG]

3. chick_newbie

Jun 15, 2008
    South Dakota
    So I go to bed and sleep since I work nights and when I get up there is still nothing going on. I can't believe that I wouldn't hear at least something going on when it is so close the the hatch day.

4. tellynpeep

tellynpeep Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 4, 2008
    SW New Hampshire
    Same here. It is late in day 21, and I've been checking my Marans eggs about every 10 minutes. This is worse than the last 20 days of waiting. So far no movement, sound, or pips. I'm hoping they are just late hatchers (any Marans folks want to comment on that?)

5. Chicky Tocks

Chicky Tocks [IMG]emojione/assets/png/2666.png?v=2.2.7[/IMG] Ru

Oct 20, 2008
    Benton, Arkansas
    What was the temp in your bator? If it is a still air, it should be kept at 101. My still air has been hovering at 98 & 99. I expect my hatch will be late because of this.

6. chick_newbie

Jun 15, 2008
    South Dakota
    My temps are running abot 100.5 to 102.0 for still air. Pretty constant humidity of 60%.

Still hoping for the best. Got the older chicks that DH bought 2 weeks ago in the same room right chirping away to maybe encourage them to come out.

7. gumpsgirl

gumpsgirl Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Mar 25, 2008
    Virginia
    [​IMG]

8. chick_newbie

Jun 15, 2008
    South Dakota
    I am so excited that I don't want to go to work now......I have some pipping going on!!! Having the older ones in there chirping back and forth must have kicked them in gear. Maybe I will have a surprise in the morning when I get home from work?

I must have been impatient this morning.....Come on little babies.....

9. chick_newbie

Jun 15, 2008
    South Dakota
    Well I got home this morning and nothing had happened. So I sleep a little bit and still nothing. Can't hear anything can't see anything. I am convinced it is a bust but DH wants to just leave them over the weekend. Like he does anything for them anyway. They are my little babies.

10. Hens_And_Chicks

Hens_And_Chicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 23, 2009
    Ohio
    Please don't give up - I am living proof today that a late hatch is possible. I am on Day 23 and just had two chicks hatch - 3 more are working on coming out - one on day 21, 11 on day 22 and 7 so far today on Day 23.

[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by