I think the Tractor supply store sold me geese instead of ducks...

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by shannara200, Apr 12, 2016.

1. shannara200

shannara200 Out Of The Brooder

Sep 16, 2012
    Hello everyone, a little less then 2 weeks ago I purchased 5 ducklings from the store at which time they said they where 1 week old, which made sense since the chicks they had where also 1 week old and where only slighter smaller than the ducks. Now I am thinking they are not ducks but geese because they are have grown so much its insane. when I bought them all five could rest in my two hands cupped, now only on duckling can fit in one hand and even then half of its body is outside the hand boundary.

I posted some pictures of them in hopes someone can tell me what they are, I have had chickens for 4 years now and this is my attempt to expanded my boundaries with water fouls, so my knowledge concerning them is limited.

Any info would be great [​IMG]

keep in mind the duckling below is less then 3 weeks old [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. 0wen

0wen Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 25, 2016
    Southwest Virginia
    Duck

1 person likes this.
  3. lovemy mallards

lovemy mallards Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 30, 2015
    MARION COUNTY TN
    they look like pekin ducklings. I have two myself and they grow quick![​IMG]

4. Jdastardly

Jdastardly New Egg

Apr 12, 2016
    Those look identical to the pekins I just got at my local Southern States. Definitely ducks, I was also shocked at how quickly mine got HUGE!

5. jenny4749

jenny4749 Out Of The Brooder

Apr 7, 2016
    Michigan
    Mine are around 14 days old. Tsc told us ours were a day old, I don't know if I believe that but anyway, yours look exactly like mine and they are Pekins.

6. Duck Drover

Duck Drover Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 8, 2013
    Washington
    The jumbo Pekins grow huge fast because they are bred for meat. They are a popular meat duck but some people keep the regular Pekins as pet ducks. With meat breeds there are risks of complications after 6 months because they are intended to be eaten once they are full grown.

7. shannara200

Sep 16, 2012
    Thanks everyone [​IMG]

8. TimCline

TimCline Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 31, 2016
    Inez, ky
    Pekins :) these are 5 weeks [​IMG]

9. shannara200

Sep 16, 2012

Meat Birds ?? I hope they are not meat birds, I plan to build a floating duck coop and have them live on my 5 acre lake behind my house. I would hate to see them start having issues after 6 months. but I did notice that the wings on them are very small compared to their size, is that how you know if they are meat birds ?? also does anyone know if the Tractor supply place sale meat duck birds ??

10. dekel18042

dekel18042 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 18, 2013
    Pennsylvania
    Some of the duck breeds don't fly and pekins are one of those. And duck wings are smaller than chicken wings. Can't speak for all breeds but it does seem ducklings grow faster than peeps.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by