I think there is something wrong with my cochin's leg.

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Moochie, Jul 4, 2011.

1. Moochie

Moochie Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 8, 2010
    North Edwards
    She is a young pullet. Standard size cochin. She lays down alot and when she roosts she sometimes can't fly up successfully. When she sleeps she keeps her weight off of one side. It's her right leg I believe. She didn't do anything when I felt for anything strange, and there wasn't.
    When she jumps off of things she spreads her wings out when she lands, and kinda lunges forward a bit, it's a little difficult for her to get her balance sometimes.
    Did a rooster do this? Or did something happen when she flew off the roosts? I've never seen Melvin be too rough on his girls.. Well, he is a large rooster.. I guess he does but unintentionally? He's a light sussex, and pretty heavy.
    It could have been the new hampshire roo though. He's strange when he mates. He stays on for a long time and when he gets off, he goes back on. And he's real wobbly when he does it too. I think he is the one making some of the girls' back feathers come off too.

2. tiki244

tiki244 Flock Mistress

Jan 1, 2008
    WestCentralWisconsin
    Your signature line could be your answer [​IMG]

Also how high is this roost? Cochins should be on a roost about 2 feet off the ground and no more and have at least a 2 inch flat surface to stand on. And how old is this pullet?

3. Moochie

Moochie Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 8, 2010
    North Edwards
    Quote:Only 3 are on the side she's on, the other 5 are chicks and a silkie. There's three roosts in the coop. All different heights. One is 2 feet and 3 inches wide, the tallest is about 3 feet tall and 4 inches wide, and the other is 2 and half feet tall and 3 inches wide. The 2 foot roost is diagnol to the 3 foot roost, it was originally for them when they were younger, but they preferred the 3 foot one I guess. Some of them also sleep on top of a nest box table type thing that is connected to the 3 foot roost.
    She sleeps on top of the nest box thingie, which is the size of a regular table top.
    She is 5 months I think, or she could be laying already, it's hard to say because when we had alot of them they looked the same.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by