1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

I think there was a Bar Room Brawl Last night in my coop!

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Atrayu, Aug 18, 2011.

1. Atrayu

Atrayu Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 12, 2011
    Hermosa, South Dakota
    This morning when I let me hens out of the coop (they are free ranging), I noticed that it looked like there was a bar room fight. One of the nesting boxes was overturned (they are screwed down) and I found a little blood on some of the wood shavings and on the water dispenser. When I went to look at my girls I didn't see any blood on them or didn't notice any wounds. Is it normal for them to fight? I know when I first got them, there was a little hen pecking to establish who would be queen of the coop and that was quickly resolved by "Big Momma" my Buff Orpington who is also the largest of the girls, crowned herself and the others complied. But, this was the first time I saw signs of a bloody brawl. The hens are all about 5-6 months and I think a couple of them are about ready for eggs. Any feedback on this incident? Is this normal? Any recommendations?
    Thanks in Advance

____
    I am the caretaker of 15 happy, organic, free ranging hens including 2 Buff Orpingtons, 3 Barred Rock, 2 Black Australorps, 3 Americaunas, 2 Red Stars and 3 Rhode Island Reds.

2. cindylo

cindylo Out Of The Brooder

Jun 2, 2011
    Idaho Falls, ID
    Maybe this is a dumb question - but do you think anybody else got into the coop? Maybe a rodent or other pest? Because once chickens see blood they usually duke it out with awful consequences.

3. cindylo

cindylo Out Of The Brooder

Jun 2, 2011
    Idaho Falls, ID
    I forgot to add that the pecking order does take time and some brawls to get established. That's a normal thing. Maybe your girls developed a taste for mice if none of them have any wounds?

4. Judy

Judy Moderator Staff Member

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia
    I agree, my guess would be they killed something small -- rat, baby skunk or weasel, mole, etc.

5. Atrayu

Atrayu Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 12, 2011
    Hermosa, South Dakota
    I will have to check to see if any other little creature got in. The coop is pretty much predator proof. We have a electronic perimeter that is turned on at night to keep predators away, but a mouse or something could have gotten in during the day. When I get home today, I will check to see for evidence or remains of some creature.
    Thanks for the comments!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by