I think they are dead......AGAIN

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by wrestling_mom, Oct 6, 2011.

1. wrestling_mom

wrestling_mom Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 3, 2011
    Henderson County, NC
    Today is day 7. Too early to really see in the RIR eggs, but my white eggs look odd. On some, I see a short red streak near the air cell. On one, I see a red ring all the way around, one, it has veins and a streak, one has the spidering, but it is at the top of the egg. Could that last one be because I have them pointy end down in cartons? I turn them by tilting the bator.

2. KIDDSBANTAMS

KIDDSBANTAMS Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 15, 2010
    Lexington
    You should see veins and spidering, that is normal for 7 days. Look up bloodrings, it sounds like you may have 1 of those. A bloodring is not always a ring but something a red line. I had several bloodrings this time and had to throw those out.

3. wrestling_mom

Jun 3, 2011
    Henderson County, NC
    I'm pretty sure that you are right. Wonder if it is the hen and rooster combo there. Only one hen and rooster there(of egg laying status, there are 13 other hens together with them)

4. pete55

pete55 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 19, 2011
    Suffolk, UK
    It does sound as though some are bloodrings where the early embryo has died but yes becasue you're incubating vertically the one with 'spider like blood vessels' will be near the air cell. Dont worry its position wont affect its development [​IMG]

5. wrestling_mom

Jun 3, 2011
    Henderson County, NC
    Quote:[​IMG] I'm glad to hear this. Would an led light work better than an old fashioned candler? I may have to pick one up tomorrow.

6. Barbedwirecat

Barbedwirecat Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 16, 2011
    Limestone
    I love my small LED mini Flashlight I got from walmart. It's super easy to see inside eggs, even brown ones. I think it as 10 bucks but worth every penny. I got the one with the case that had 3 different color lenses and looks like a small pen light, that way the light focuses in the egg.

Wait till day 10 to toss eggs just in case.

7. wrestling_mom

Jun 3, 2011
    Henderson County, NC
    Quote:I will be getting one in the morning. No, I usually don't toss until it is REALLY obvious that they are gone.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by