1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

I Think They are Dead

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Reyvaughn, Jul 20, 2011.

1. Reyvaughn

Reyvaughn Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 10, 2011
    Northeast Pennsylvania
    I lost electricity to my incubator the other day between storms and my water pump losing it's prime (had to kick the breaker so it didn't fry the pump), the incubator was off for 5hrs and the temps went down to 77 degrees and up to 71% humidity. I let them go until last night (over 24hrs after the power outage) to candle and I see veins, they they are only around the air cell. The yolk looks broke and scrambled inside and a few have large dark spots - like brown blood/meat spots. The one that had nice veins and a visibily beating heart 4 days ago, doesn't anymore. Today would have been their 7th and 8th day. I honestly think I lost the 30+ eggs in my 'bator... I am devastated over losing all those chicks and not to mention the $ involved. But, I don't want to consider them gone yet... But it really doesn't look good.

Any thoughts or words of wisdom?

Last edited: Jul 20, 2011
  2. hlf1996

hlf1996 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 24, 2011
    California
    I wouldnt give up yet. Keep them in the incubator until at least day 10 and candle again. Good luck on your hatch.

3. nurse_turtle

nurse_turtle Chillin' With My Peeps

May 28, 2011
    Foothills of NC
    I would definitely wait before tossing 'em. A few hatches ago, I was candling on day 18 while taking the eggs out of the turner. The room was darkened and I forgot one egg that I found still sitting in the turner which was now on the floor at room temperature. I felt like crap for not noticing. I put the egg back in the bator. It was the last to hatch and is now my baby "Emu". He is a super sexy barred rock rooster! Give it a few days and re-candle.[​IMG]

4. weimarmama

weimarmama Overrun With Chickens

Jun 4, 2010
    Alabama
    My Coop
    Give them a few more days. Several hatches ago, someone unplugged my incubator & turner for a day or two (not really sure how long) & the eggs ended up being fine. I've also had broodies to leave the nest for several hours & have good hatches. Lots of good luck [​IMG]

5. amosygal

amosygal Out Of The Brooder

Jul 21, 2011
    I also had a power outage of 5 hours and the chicks hatched just fine, but I must admit the temperature was a little higher than yours. I think your chicks will be fine. good luck!

6. Reyvaughn

Reyvaughn Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 10, 2011
    Northeast Pennsylvania
    Thanks everyone. I knew sometimes they make it through, and that's why I didn't toss them right away. But, what I saw when I candled didn't make me hopeful. I'll let them go and candle again on day 10!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by