I think they are yelling at wash other

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by ocpoolguy, Oct 9, 2011.

1. ocpoolguy

ocpoolguy Out Of The Brooder

Mar 4, 2011
    Orange County CA
    6 hens two laying boxes. We are new got 1 day old chicks at the end of April. Three are now laying and two are very close. It seems to take some time to pass an egg. When the girls are in the box they are in ther for 20-30 minutes. If another needs to lay they will squak LOUD like yelling hurry up in there. They won't use the other box. I am afraid my neighbors will complain. Any way to get them to use the other box? I tried putting some eggs in there for a few days and It did not work.

2. SteveBaz

SteveBaz Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 6, 2011
    Pacific North West
    I heard the first few eggs may take way longer than 20 to 30 minutes. My wife said sounds like labor every day OMG!!!!! Maybe the other girls are just CHEERING Her on Rah Rah [​IMG] [​IMG] I know I would Bah Bah if an egg shot out of me too!!!

Last edited: Oct 9, 2011
  3. dantodd

dantodd Out Of The Brooder

May 16, 2011
    San Carlos, CA
    we have one chicken who likes to sing for every egg laid in the flock. I don't think it is unusual. As long as you are legally keeping our chickens I wouldn't worry too much about the noise. Keeping chickens isn't a silent endeavor and your city knew that when they passed their ordinance. I will sometimes quiet them down by throwing out a little scratch. Chickens are easily distracted.

4. anderson8505

anderson8505 Peace, Love & Happy Chickens

Yeah, I think the hens can be louder than the roosters. Luckily I don't live in a place where neighbors have the right to do anything other than grumble to themselves about it. My hens have taken to laying in a basket on the front porch, so the noise is unavoidable. A couple of hens squeeze in the basket at the same time sometimes. [​IMG]

5. LT

LT Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 21, 2011
    West Fork
    One of our girls, Agnes, takes forever. Sometimes I think she just enjoys making me wait for her egg. But the other day, one of the other girls jumped in the box with her, laid her egg and got out, all before Agnes decided to lay. I guess they just have their own way of working things out.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by