I think they MIGHT be molting?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Rare Feathers Farm, Sep 26, 2011.

1. Rare Feathers Farm

Rare Feathers Farm Overrun With Chickens

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

These pictures were taken just before the third time this week I raked their runs! [​IMG]

2. Flip-N-Flogging

Flip-N-Flogging Out Of The Brooder

Sep 25, 2011
    Is anyone missing? I've seen attacks that favor that scene!

3. Rare Feathers Farm

Quote:[​IMG] Nope. That was my first thought when I came outside to this last week....but everyone's there...and only about 1/2 of the bird they once were! [​IMG]

Last week, it was in the low 70s...Saturday we were close to 100 degrees and today--it's been in the 50s and pouring rain. It's like someone flipped a switch...no eggs (over 60 hens), feathers everywhere....must be fall. [​IMG]

4. maybejoey

maybejoey got chickenidous?

x2 I have seen attacks that look like a pillow full of feathers just blew up.[​IMG]

Are you positive.

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 26, 2011
  5. Rare Feathers Farm

I know--and that's just from three pens...the Golden Laced Cochins, Orloffs and Sussex! The Creves, Sumatras & Houdans don't look much better...the ducks & geese are almost done with their molts...which reminds me--molting Sebbies are really messy!

6. Rare Feathers Farm

Quote:Oh yeah...I'm positive. I do a head count twice a day, inspect the runs while I'm at it. Everyone is accounted for...just bald. [​IMG]

7. maybejoey

maybejoey got chickenidous?

[​IMG]

8. gryeyes

gryeyes Covered in Pet Hair & Feathers

Gosh, I was under the impression a few, local, high-schoolers with enough machismo to have a pillow fight had just staged a few clandestine, no, even stealth mode bouts on my property lately. [​IMG]

But then I saw the earliest victim of a full-blown molt: half-naked, clearly miserable Rebecca, a 2 year old EE.

Lordy, it's going to get worse, isn't it??

9. Rare Feathers Farm

Quote:[​IMG] [​IMG]

10. Rare Feathers Farm

Quote:[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by