I think this is a hybrid chicken, thoughts please :)

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by Imperial Game, Feb 14, 2014.

1. Imperial Game

Imperial Game Out Of The Brooder

Feb 13, 2014
    I think I've hatched a hybrid chicken and would love people's thoughts/input.

She is roughly 4 months old and still the size of a newly hatched chick. She's never grown and doesn't seem to have any feathers on her head. It looks more like fur? What are your thoughts?

2. Imperial Game

Feb 13, 2014
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

3. Imperial Game

Feb 13, 2014
    She was hatched from eggs given to me by a friend. Her siblings all hatched as pure Pekin bantams, Some with standard feathering and a few with the frizzled feathering.

4. RoostersCrow HensDeliver!

RoostersCrow HensDeliver! Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 11, 2011
    SE Michigan
    Woa...Does your friend have any Naked Neck chickens?

5. txcarl1258

txcarl1258 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 11, 2010
    Pleasanton
    Is it possible she is a frazzle (sp)? I think that is what they are called when two frizzles are bred together.

6. CCCCCCCCHICKENS

CCCCCCCCHICKENS Overrun With Chickens

Dec 3, 2012
    Indiana
    you are using the correct termanology. I do not think she is a frazzle though. While she is poorly feathered like a frazzle would be, the feathers she does have should all be curled like a frizzles would be. If you are 100% sure a naked neck didnt slip in, I think you just have some genetic mutation type deal.

7. Imperial Game

Feb 13, 2014
    No he doesn't have any naked necks at all. I know he does have a few guinea fowl though and I suspected that she could be a cross from that? I'm just not sure that he had the guineas when he gave me the eggs she was hatched from.

I honestly expected her to just not make it as she hasn't grown pretty much at all. She seemed happy enough though so I just let her free range in the backyard away from the other chickens and to date she's doing fine.

If this is a mutation, I wonder if it would breed true? Her eggs would probably be the size of budgie eggs though!

8. Imperial Game

Feb 13, 2014
    Here's a few more pics ;)

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

9. CCCCCCCCHICKENS

CCCCCCCCHICKENS Overrun With Chickens

Dec 3, 2012
    Indiana
    Probably not, the thing about mutations is they are pretty random. I don't think it is something that would carry on. At least not 100% of the time. I would not breed her, a rooster would probably crush her. And who knows if she will even lay. I have a chicken with a neurological disorder that is way way past laying age, never layed one and probably never will (which may end up being her demise). Who knows what all is in her gene pool. It isn't something I would want to mess with.

10. txcarl1258

txcarl1258 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 11, 2010
    Pleasanton
    It is very possible she is a guinea fowl hybrid. One of the BYC members had one and posted a thread about it. It could explain her un-thriftiness and he naked neck and head. While they are rare they aren't unheard of.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by