1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

I think this is a RIR Roo, but I need a second opinion...

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by Bird_Lover423, Jan 14, 2010.

1. Bird_Lover423

Bird_Lover423 New Egg

Jan 14, 2010
    Hi there, I'm actually new to the forum, but I've been lurking for a while. [​IMG]

A friend of ours is raising a chicken, but since he's going out of town for a week or so, we offered to take care of the little guy until he get's back.

It's been a few days already, but I'm still not completely sure what gender this is. The owner says the person who sold it to him gave him a roo, but he's not sure either.

Also, I think it's a RIR, however I'm not so sure of the age.

Which is why I need a second opinion.

I know it's lacking some tail feathers and I dont know what became of them, but it's growing them back though.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. spikennipper

spikennipper Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 25, 2009
    Kent, UK.
    Yes that is a roo for sure not sure on breed though but most likely rir as you say, can't be certain on age but appears to be an adult.

3. Chris09

Chris09 Circle (M) Ranch

Jun 1, 2009
    Ohio
    Rooster.

Chris

4. jeslewmazer

jeslewmazer Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 24, 2009
    Mississippi
    Agree roo

5. Goose and Fig

Goose and Fig Grateful Geese

Apr 19, 2009
    Fall Creek Falls TN
    Yes that is an RIR roo. Looks like he's just coming out of a molt- you can see the new feathers around his face. His tail feathers will be black & greenish.

6. Bird_Lover423

Bird_Lover423 New Egg

Jan 14, 2010
    Awesome. [​IMG] Now I can call him Rudy the Rooster, at least until the owners come and get him. Thank you everyone for all your help! ^_^

He hasn't crowed yet though. So I don't know if he will anytime soon. Although if he does start, I'm pretty sure our neighbors wont be too happy about that.

Once again, thanks everyone! [​IMG]

7. Tuffoldhen

Tuffoldhen Flock Mistress

Jan 30, 2007
    WV
    RIR Rooster

8. BWchicken

BWchicken Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 4, 2009
    Texas
    Looks just like the RIR Roo I used to have, well except for the missing tail feathers. Looks like they're starting to grow back though!

9. Mahonri

Mahonri Urban Desert Chicken Enthusiast Premium Member

May 14, 2008
    North Phoenix
    My Coop
    Quote:Yup

10. dovecanyon

dovecanyon Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 15, 2009
    Niland, CA
    By the time your friend gets home you won't want to give him back! Then you will have to get chickens of your own...

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by