I think this is a Silkie Bantam???

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by Mandashell, Aug 4, 2010.

1. Mandashell

Mandashell Out Of The Brooder

Jul 31, 2010
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. emys

emys Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 19, 2008
    Idaho
    Its a Silkie rooster or Silkie cross rooster.

(He seems a little tall - possible polish cross???)

Last edited: Aug 4, 2010
  3. Year of the Rooster

Year of the Rooster Sebright Savvy

Jun 27, 2008
    West Central Ohio
    That is a full bred Black Silkie rooster BUT he is pet quality. If he was a cross breed, he wouldn't have the silkie feathering.

4. emys

Nov 19, 2008
    Idaho
    He could if he was second generation cross bred.

5. Year of the Rooster

Jun 27, 2008
    West Central Ohio
    And what are the odds that he has the characteristics of a Silkie if he was a second generation bird? Here is my white rooster that I hatched myself and he IS pure Silkie. He is a little lanky, even for a purebred one. So, purebred? yes. Show Quality? no.
    [​IMG]

6. emys

Nov 19, 2008
    Idaho
    Whoa!! Calm down. I'm not getting into it with you. I'm just commenting.

7. Year of the Rooster

Jun 27, 2008
    West Central Ohio
    I'm sorry. I'm overreacting a bit. But it bugs me when people think a poor quality bird is a cross breed or a different breed altogether.

8. emys

Nov 19, 2008
    Idaho
    Apology accepted. We speculate because it's fun. Which is why I come to this forum; and to learn. I don't mind alternate opinions/facts presented in a neutral manner.

I hope we haven't put the original poster off ever posting again!! Hope your new little guy is getting along well!

9. Mandashell

Mandashell Out Of The Brooder

Jul 31, 2010
    No problem thanks, Do you call that thing on his face a walnut??

10. dolly85

dolly85 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 1, 2010
    I personally think he's a cross. Even my poor quality hatchery silkies manage to maintain the proper color comb! That bright redness he exhibits in his face and the sparse feathering around his feet, tall lanky look, all suggest a 2nd generation silky or a silky with something different in its background. Its really not that uncommon.... If the parents are recessive for silky feathering the trait can pop up out of the blue! No reason to argue or get snappy over ideas, speculation is the name of the game here. Its not like we're going to genetically ID every chicken we come across!!!

Last edited: Aug 5, 2010

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by