I think this is the right place for this

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by jimz1, Apr 6, 2011.

1. jimz1

jimz1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 6, 2010
    Coleman, Wi
    I have some ideas about nesting boxes but I have a couple questions about them. Can you have too many? I have 13 or 14 hens, I think. I was going to put in 8 boxes. 2 rows of 4. How high off the floor should they be? Can I put 1 row on top of the other? Pictures would be a huge help!!!!

2. schellie69

schellie69 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 8, 2009
    Kansas
    [​IMG] they will end up almost always using the same one as the other hens used I have 4 nest boxes for 13 hens and they all lay in one.

3. nurseronda

nurseronda Out Of The Brooder

Feb 21, 2011
    Tucson
    My hens use the same nest also. My son had chickens and they all shared the same nest as well.

4. BarefootMom

BarefootMom Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 20, 2010
    Half Way, Missouri
    I don't think you can have too many.

But don't be surprised if they all only use a couple.

They are fine to be stacked.

I only have 4 nest boxes, and 30 hens and I will occasionaly get eggs out in the haybarn...lol I NEED more nest boxes. lol

here is one thread on nestboxes I have seen others- you could probably just do a quick search and find more.
    https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=453806&p=1

5. mackenjr01

mackenjr01 Out Of The Brooder

They say 4-6th Clem will share a nest box with out any problem. But it can never hurt to have more than enough incase you expand your flock.

6. AKsmama

AKsmama Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 20, 2010
    South Carolina
    It's better to have too many than not enough. I have 31 layers and 7 nest boxes. . . one dumb EE is laying in a bucket outside, and one of my Marans is in the hospital cage recovering from an injury and not laying, so that's 2 that aren't using the next boxes right now. I just visited the coop a few minutes ago, and all the next boxes are full and there's a line of girls waiting for an open one. . . so yeah, more is better [​IMG] But they do often have a favorite box or two.

7. BarefootMom

BarefootMom Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 20, 2010
    Half Way, Missouri
    Quote:[​IMG] what is with EE's and laying just wherever? I have 3 EE's that will lay wherever they are. 1 of them lays in the shop in an old tire, 1 will literally just lay wherever she happens to be at the time, and the other one likes to lay in the back of our truck! My RIR and BR only lay other places if the nest boxes are full. I have 30 layers...and only 4 nest boxes.

8. mackenjr01

mackenjr01 Out Of The Brooder

Mine EE lay in different places depending on the weather cold weather left side top of the coop cool spring top right summer on the ground in a pile fall every where

9. DanEP

DanEP Chillin' With My Peeps

May 15, 2010
    Cadiz Ky
    Yes you can stack your boxes,but you don't really need 8 for 13 hens. I have 16 layers right now and 4 boxes is working fine
    As far as how high it really doesn't matter that much as long there lower than your lowest roost, if there higher than the roost somebody will decide to sleep in it and poop all night long making for messing eggs and a lot more cleaning for you.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by