I think this mama hen looks like a Wheaton Old English Game Fowl, but I have some questions

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by missnu01, Jan 21, 2013.

1. missnu01

missnu01 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 16, 2012
    We bought her and 7 chicks locally, and I didn't ask what kind of chicken she was, and they didn't say anything...anyway 2 of those babies are roosters and we already have 2 adult roosters that get along, will her male offspring be terribly willful roosters? Or are some game chickens not so game-y?

Then again she could just be a mix as well...I don't know...
    [​IMG]

2. ramirezframing

ramirezframing Overrun With Chickens

Mar 2, 2011
    Knee Deep
    like other breeds some are and some aint. I seen a pen with about 30 birds in it, half hens half roos and these roosters were brahmas and one game rooster. And everyone was fine with each other. I have great luck with growing young roos up with the older roos. There will be a few little fights but nothing big MOST of the time

1 person likes this.
  3. missnu01

Nov 16, 2012
    Good. I was thinking so, but sometimes people say that game roosters are just awful and will fight with any other rooster...We have lots of space, and will soon have lots of chickens...right now I have only 12, and in that are 2 adult roosters and 3 hens, and 7 almost 5 month olds...We started with only 3 hens and 1 big roo..then I got this mama hen and her 7 peepers, then I got an adult silkie rooster, and at first I wasn't so sure, so after quarantine was over I moved the Silkie roo in his own cage into the coop so everyone could see everyone else, and then in a few days that seemed to be going well and I let the silkie out and he was very cautious, but as soon as the big rooster saw him he flew at the silkie and the silkie ran off, and now they are friends outside of the coop. Inside the coop the silkie keeps his distance, but they have a system...the big rooster now grazes with the hens while the silkie looks out...So the silkie will alarm and then the big rooster will move everyone away...I do notice that I never see the big rooster mating, and I never hear any scuffles in the coop and none of the hens are ever fluffed looking, But the eggs we were getting before the silkie were fertile as far as I can tell--the big roo must be very quiet about it...but anyway, the silkie does the rooster dance and postulates for the girls, because he is only 9 months old but the big roo won't let the silkie mate any of the hens, he also doesn't allow any infighting in the coop at all... But they get along, in the coop it is avoidance, and outside they are a team...side by side never see one without the other...it's weird, but I like that they get along..and the silkie keeps roosting closer and closer to the big roo. I really like one of the cockerels that is only 5 months old...I think he will make a very fine rooster. He is already larger than his mom, and just good looking I think. For whatever reason I seem to like big white roosters...He won't be as big as our "big rooster" but he looks like he'll be a good size. It's funny but when I first got the mama hen and the chicks they were their own flock within my flock, but now the mama is part of my original flock and the babies act like their own flock. Big flock holds rank, but then there is a system between all the underlings as well. I like watching how they interact. But the white cockerel is totally king of the small chickens. Lol.
    He'll do this fluff chicken cobra dance that trips me out...til the big rooster fixes him with a dinosaur stare.

4. Frizzle13

Frizzle13 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 16, 2012
    i am not sure on her breed but she does not look like she has a very gamy shape. and depending on how many hens u hav 4 roos will be fine with plenty of room

5. missnu01

Nov 16, 2012
    I think it will all turn out alright...As for her shape she is shaped like my leghorn, but her body is smaller and thinner maybe is the way to describe it...nothing eye catching about her. I just happened to see someone posting pictures of their Wheaton Old English Game and noticed I have the exact chicken...Lol. But since I am new to chickens I wasn't sure if game birds are just naturally aggressive like people say they are, or not.

6. missnu01

Nov 16, 2012
    Well right now the 2 roos get along great with only 3 hens of laying age...I know they need more hens and I am totally working on it. Lol. The hens don't get overdone though because the big roo won't let the silkie roo mate any of the hens.

7. hdowden

hdowden Overrun With Chickens

Aug 14, 2011
    louisiana
    i promise you that silkie does get on the hens when the big one isnt looking they always do. your hens get mated by every roo around

8. missnu01

Nov 16, 2012
    I don't know man...they are a very close flock and the big roo watches very carefully...Lol. I always see the silkie start dancing for the hens and then here comes the big roo... Also all the other hens except maybe mama up there in the pic are LF and the poor silkie is of course a bantam...it's funny though because he goes at this one huge buff orpington pullet more than the other 2..He'll see her bent over scratching at the ground and try to snag here, but then the big fella steps in... Either way the hens never look the least bit ruffled, so if they are both going at them then they are both very easy. At first when all we had was our big rooster I wasn't sure he was fertilizing eggs because I never hear anything, or see anything, and the hens never look rumpled, and he is a really big rooster and he has huge spurs, and it just seems like there would be some signs of chicken coitus, and I guess there are because the eggs are fertilized, but he's very quiet and easy about it I guess.

9. missnu01

Nov 16, 2012
    Either way we have only 12 chickens, 2 are adult roosters, one big old dinosaur, and then 9 month old silkie, and then 2 cockerels only one of which seems to know he is a cockerel...I think they'll all be alright as long as my big old rooster holds out...he is the peacekeeper of the coop..there is no fighting allowed, he doesn't let anyone get picked on and no infighting at all between anybody...He keeps the ruckus down for sure. But when he is gone it very well might all fall apart, or if I ended up with a rooster bigger than he is, but I doubt that will happen soon, he's a big guy.

[​IMG]

There's the big guy...we have since eaten the large hen that is standing closest to him...She was delicious, but a little fatty.

10. Bangarang64

Bangarang64 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 2, 2012
    Lake Okeechobee
    she almost looks looks like my Wheaten Marans:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 23, 2013

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by