1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

I think this might be a problem

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by pax12, Nov 11, 2013.

1. pax12

pax12 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 7, 2008
    PA
    I have these two chickens I've had over a year and they are really gentle and shy. Now I have these two ducks that are almost 2 months old and bigger then these chickens, so I had the cage in the coop for almost a month so they could get used to each other. Then on Saturday I let them out of the cage so they could be with the chickens to see how that goes. It was fine until today I went in and the white duck had blood on its back and its wing, but the other black duck was fine. So I watched and when ever the yellow duck got close to the one chicken it pecked at it. I'm not sure if its a dominates thing to get them in order or the chicken just wants to kill the duck. So please let me know what you think!

2. abcr

abcr Out Of The Brooder

Sep 2, 2013
    I would sit with them and watch I think the chickens are just sticking up for them self an d protecting if it happens again keep them separated for a while and introduce them in baby steps hope this helps god bless [​IMG]

3. Suzie

Suzie Overrun With Chickens

Jul 9, 2009
    Auvergne
    As you will now be aware... chickens and ducks are not always a good idea to have in one area... ducks are messy and will foul the water for the chickens, that is aside from their poop!

I have witnessed here... my ducks trying to attack my chickens ( and they all free range and have separate housing at night ), ducks can be brutal,,, as can be chickens... keep them away from each other if at all possible.

4. pax12

pax12 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 7, 2008
    PA
    okay thanks everyone!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by