I think this neat! Do you own one?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by annie3001, Dec 5, 2010.

1. annie3001

annie3001 My Girls

Jun 11, 2009
    Ct.
    Last edited: Dec 5, 2010
  2. abhaya

abhaya Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 5, 2010
    cookeville, tn
    I wouldnt do it. You can use a large rubbermaid tote with a light over it and have a great brooder. That is what I use and my chicks have done great. I would spend that money on an incubator.

3. kristim23

kristim23 Out Of The Brooder

Oct 8, 2010
    Neat!! I would look into that, but I'm going to try to only brood chicks myself once When my girls grow up, they can do it!!

4. gryeyes

gryeyes Covered in Pet Hair & Feathers

Quote:Riiiight. So you have fool-proof methods of hatching out chicks which will grow up into pullets and hens that will definitely go broody??

Some folks never get a broody hen. Plus, you can't program them to go broody, much less on your schedule.

Good luck with that.

5. annie3001

annie3001 My Girls

Jun 11, 2009
    Ct.
    Quote:Riiiight. So you have fool-proof methods of hatching out chicks which will grow up into pullets and hens that will definitely go broody??

Some folks never get a broody hen. Plus, you can't program them to go broody, much less on your schedule.

Good luck with that.

ive owned chickens for over 2 years and never have i had a broody chicken. [​IMG]

6. redhen

redhen Kiss My Grits... Premium Member

May 19, 2008
    Western MA
    How does that work? Do you set it in the chick brooder an dit keeps them warm? Like they can huddle underneath it?
    I wouldnt call it a brooder then... just a heat source... kinda like a light does?
    Gah.. i'm confused, again.. [​IMG]

7. silkieroo

silkieroo Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 14, 2010
    Durham NH
    Quote:I was thinkig the same thing!... I'm so confused! [​IMG]

8. annie3001

annie3001 My Girls

Jun 11, 2009
    Ct.
    I think its just a heat source for chicks, it doesnt seem that big. And its expensive.

Please dont be confused. [​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 5, 2010
  9. redhen

redhen Kiss My Grits... Premium Member

May 19, 2008
    Western MA
    Quote:Thats actually a good idea then! I'd sooo buy that instead of a light.
    We have hooks in our ceiling because of trying to hang up dang brooder lights.. [​IMG]

10. annie3001

annie3001 My Girls

Jun 11, 2009
    Ct.
    I know what you mean. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by