1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

I think this person needs to educate themselves...lol

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Hopefulloflove, Oct 25, 2011.

1. Hopefulloflove

Hopefulloflove Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 18, 2011
    Benson, NC

2. mallory2013

mallory2013 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 3, 2011
    Eastern CT
    Oh my goodness! Haha! [​IMG]

3. FuzzyButtsFarm

FuzzyButtsFarm Rest in Peace 1950-2013

Just goes to show. There's a sucker born every minute. I can't believe anyone would believe they are real. Wait till they molt. LOL

4. bobbieschicks

bobbieschicks Chicken Tender

Jun 24, 2011
    King George, VA
    My Coop
    Almost had some blue silkies myself this hatch when I put blue food cooling in the water well so I could see the water levels easier. Fortunately the food coloring wasn't permanent.

5. SteveBaz

SteveBaz Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 6, 2011
    Pacific North West
    and this is cute but how in the world and who in the world would do this;

6. ChickiKat

ChickiKat Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 10, 2011
    Eastern Kansas
    Wow, so bummed that I only got a grey Silkie. I could have a pink one if I had of only known!!! [​IMG]

7. TedJan92_in_Idaho

TedJan92_in_Idaho Chillin' With My Peeps

May 27, 2011
    Cocolalla Idaho
    When I was kid they used to have these colored chicks at a G.C. Murphy's store where I lived during Easter. There were thousands of them. They would sell out. If I remember they were 20 cents each. Candy bars were a nickle. Just for price comparison. Murphy's was like a Dept. Store. They didn't sell any thing for farm use. Anyways they had these things by the boxes and other places had them. People would buy them and take them home. My grandmother would buy me 100 every year. Never did I get one pullet. And this went one many years. It was a good way for the hatchery's to sell their cockerals. We ate chicken so it was OK. I just wonder what happened tom all those chicks that were sold. Anyone else remember this? Or was it just in the area I was raised?

8. SteveBaz

SteveBaz Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 6, 2011
    Pacific North West
    do they drop them in a tub of dyes and hope they don't drown or what?

9. Pele

Pele Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 25, 2011
    Boise
    Quote:It was a pretty common practice back in the day, but most states now have laws against dying chicks. It's actually considered animal cruelty since it encourages impulse buying by people who are either looking for disposable pets on easter, or who just plain don't have a clue how to keep the chick alive.

Now, if you just have an unusual sense of humor, and have silkies at home, all you need is to give them a dunk in a koolaid bath [​IMG]

It wears off in a couple of weeks, and doesn't harm the chicken.

10. BarefootMom

BarefootMom Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 20, 2010
    Half Way, Missouri
    Quote:[​IMG]

I can just see the next video...

these chickies were pink and blue and then they turned white! They are magical color turning chickens!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by