I think those who said hen were wrong! One month later...

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by Jeffross1968, Aug 9, 2011.

1. Jeffross1968

Jeffross1968 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 14, 2011
    Smoky Mountains
    Ok, about a month ago, we tried for the 2nd or 3rd time to sex this bird. Lots of people on THIS THREAD said hen. I think after this last month, there isn't any question, but hey, I'm a total newbie, so lets see what you think now. With those feathers growing in behind it's tail, I say there is no question. Frankly, at 6+ months old, I should have to still be wondering. This "guy" is really begging to be cooked. No crowing, no mating, no egg laying, no squatting. Just a whole bunch of eating and...well, what happens when you eat a lot [​IMG]

So here we go!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. 3goodeggs

3goodeggs pays attention sporadically

May 22, 2009
    North Central Florida
    Those feathers around the neck look roo-ish

3. chickee

chickee Chillin' With My Peeps

Yep, it's a rooster. The pointed saddle and hackle feathers are a dead giveaway. He must be keeping his mouth shut after hearing he might end up on the dinner table [​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 9, 2011
  4. Jeffross1968

Jeffross1968 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 14, 2011
    Smoky Mountains
    Quote:Well he's making a grave mistake, I'll tell ya that. Because this isn't a house for a no-crowing, no-mating eating machine....that's my job [​IMG]

5. nurse_turtle

nurse_turtle Chillin' With My Peeps

May 28, 2011
    Foothills of NC
    Rooster...all the way!

6. m_shuman

m_shuman Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 22, 2011
    Springfield, GA
    Quote:I agree it's a He!

7. chickee

chickee Chillin' With My Peeps

Quote:Well he's making a grave mistake, I'll tell ya that. Because this isn't a house for a no-crowing, no-mating eating machine....that's my job [​IMG]

[​IMG]

8. Cowgirl71

Cowgirl71 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 5, 2010
    Missouri Ozarks
    100% rooster.

He looks JUST like a younger version of my original rooster, Reggie. I never found out what breeds were in him either... all I know is that his paternal grandsire was a solid white Easter Egger. I always figured that he had some Red Sexlink and/or New Hampshire and/or Rhode Island Red in him too. Reggie was a BIG guy, probably 9-10 pounds. His dad was small (probably 5-6 pounds), and colored just like Reggie, but with a pea comb and a muff and beard.
    [​IMG]

9. Crack N' Egg

Crack N' Egg Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 29, 2009
    Flemington, NJ
    cock a doodle do!!!! [​IMG]

10. Lothiriel

Lothiriel Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Aug 30, 2007
    New York State
    My Coop
    Definitely rooster. I would have said roo on the other thread too -- even there I can see the saddle and hackle feathers.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by