I think today is Lay day!

Bahamachick

In the Brooder
May 3, 2022
Bahamas
My Coop
My Coop
Last week my Easter egger who is 24 weeks old started finally submissive squatting, she has been generally looking around the laying box but not much interest.

However today her behavior has been different. I went out to check on my ladies as I usually do before heading in to work and she was just sitting in the grass panting. now i had seen this behavior with my previous hen when I adopted her and she was new to the environment and not sure where to lay. Eventually after walking the yard together and alot of her panting and squawking she successfully laid the egg and then taught the other rescued hen where to go.

Plus today Lady Margaret (my Easter egger) is also having her little butt do that contraction motion! I am so excited but also worried she will lay just anywhere as i am to work. Do you think these are clear signs and should i check the bushes when i get home? EEEK ! I wish I was there!

Last week my Easter egger who is 24 weeks old started finally submissive squatting, she has been generally looking around the laying box but not much interest.

However today her behavior has been different. I went out to check on my ladies as I usually do before heading in to work and she was just sitting in the grass panting. now i had seen this behavior with my previous hen when I adopted her and she was new to the environment and not sure where to lay. Eventually after walking the yard together and alot of her panting and squawking she successfully laid the egg and then taught the other rescued hen where to go.

Plus today Lady Margaret (my Easter egger) is also having her little butt do that contraction motion! I am so excited but also worried she will lay just anywhere as i am to work. Do you think these are clear signs and should i check the bushes when i get home? EEEK ! I wish I was there!
Sounds like it might be time! Let us know what you find!

It's funny that I stumbled across your thread because I think today might be the day for my Olive Egger, Marigold, to lay. She's been squatting for a little while now, but today it sounds like she's practicing her egg song. We will BOTH find out soon!
20220809_121031.jpg

It's funny that I stumbled across your thread because I think today might be the day for my Olive Egger, Marigold, to lay. She's been squatting for a little while now, but today it sounds like she's practicing her egg song. We will BOTH find out soon!
View attachment 3246311
I am so excited for us both!

She DID IT! I am so thrilled I can hardly believe it, my intuition was right! I am so proud and excited my poor husband has had to be watching and helping from home he was such a good sport and she laid in the coop! He closed the run after he saw her going back and forth (my girls free range my entire yard) and she did it!

1662224819023.png

She DID IT! I am so thrilled I can hardly believe it, my intuition was right! I am so proud and excited my poor husband has had to be watching and helping from home he was such a good sport and she laid in the coop! He closed the run after he saw her going back and forth (my girls free range my entire yard) and she did it!

View attachment 3246338
It's beautiful!!!

View attachment 3246338
Gorgeous egg! Congratulations 👏🎉

I, too am seeing POL behavior in my EE, Karen. She spent hours laying on the ground yesterday (no egg yet).
Several of my 21 wk olds are near that first egg. Pic: Karen (EE) right, Livvy (bielefelder), Hedwig (Lt Brahma) literally staring silently at nests; Big momma (niederrhiener) is seen peeking out from nest as if to say This way ladies!

congrats to OP on that beautiful egg. AA— keep us posted!!
6030E404-184D-41E4-9E09-76D10CFA8DA1.jpeg

Back
Top Bottom