I think two out of four of my hens are roosters please help me determine :(

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by Photoman509, Aug 11, 2013.

1. Photoman509

Photoman509 Out Of The Brooder

Jul 25, 2013
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 11, 2013
  2. BantamFan4Life

BantamFan4Life LOOK WHAT YOU MADE ME DO. Premium Member

Jun 15, 2012
    Washington
    My Coop
  3. McIntosh2019

McIntosh2019 Out Of The Brooder

Aug 11, 2013
    one in the middle of the second picture(second barred rock) is roo. #rd barred rock in second picture is roo. Others I don't know.

4. Kev

Kev Overrun With Chickens

Jan 13, 2008
    Sun City, California
    I don't see any roo traits on any of these birds.

Seems the problem is concentrating on comb/face only while ignoring rest of the bird. None of them have roo type feathers... at this age they would have lots of skinny, super shiny and pointy tipped and whiter roo feathers all over the neck, back and tail.

In this case the reddness and size of combs is only a difference due to some being more mature and probably closer to laying first egg than the others.

Just keep them for several more weeks. To get rid of any now based on roo fears would be a big mistake.

5. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    How old are the birds?

I'm also seeing all females, the two with the larger combs are just maturing faster. Eventually all your hens will look like that, and you'll have eggs.

6. Photoman509

Jul 25, 2013
    I was really hoping to hear this! :) GOD I hope your right! I lost my whole flock to a pitbull last year and the thought of only having two hens was really bothering me because I cannot have a roosters where I live. I will definetly keep them until I know for sure. Also when should I add a light on a timer and for how long for egg productions purposes and does a heat light work for this I want to use a heat lamp in the winter to keep them warm is that ok?

7. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    Young hens, especially hatchery/production birds, usually lay through the first winter without any supplemental light. Your hens, say the start laying in Sept, should lay right through to Sept-Oct 2014. They'll molt, take a break, then usually not start up again until the next spring, say March-April 2015. So, I'd say don't worry about light this winter.

You don't have your location listed, but hens really don't need supplemental heat in all but the most extreme weather. It's best to let them acclimate to the temps, they're really quite cold hardy. Your barred Rocks were bred in New England way before there was electricity---I can guarantee there were no heated coops then! Plus, if a bird is not hardened off for cold temps, you can have real problems if the power goes out. Your bird won't have any hardiness to fall back on and will be quite susceptible to illness, or just plain shock.

8. Tricoglossus

Tricoglossus Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 15, 2012
    Perth, Western Australia
    They all look like pullets to me.

9. Photoman509

Jul 25, 2013
    I am in Washington State (Spokane) they are about 4 months old and thank you for the info its very good to know :) I love this place :) lol

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by