i think we build the coop too small. newbie dilemma

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by Picotine, Jul 19, 2011.

1. Picotine

Picotine Out Of The Brooder

Jul 13, 2011
    hi,

we have 12 barred rock chicks and hubby build them a 4'x4'6" coop we originally made 8 nesting box (4 wide by 2 high) but learned that we don't need that many box because more then one use the same box. so if we take down all the dividers for the bottom, it gives them 4.5' x 4' of floor space. hubby was planning to build a 8'x4' run. and we'd move the coop and run around the yard every 2 days. now that i read that each chicken need 4 sf if they go out or 10 sf if they stay in coop... it look like we won't be able to keep our dozen chicken [​IMG]

we had planned to put the coop and run in the garage for the winter... it's a double garage with only one garage door opening but no door on it and we never bothered to install a new door on it. we don't use the garage for our car. just lawn tractor and snow blower.

how many chicken would you keep? half of them might be roosters.

Last edited: Jul 19, 2011
  2. nurse_turtle

nurse_turtle Chillin' With My Peeps

May 28, 2011
    Foothills of NC
    Sounds like the coop is definitely too small for 12 chickens and your garage is gonna smell horribly if you keep those chickens in there. Good luck finding a solution.

3. Raen

Raen Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 3, 2010
    Missouri
    You got a straight run? Plan on getting rid of all the roosters, 6 chickens should be OK (although 4 would be better) if you make the run a bit bigger. Planning on moving it around the yard every two days...does that mean it's a chicken tractor design? Can you post a picture? Maybe we can suggest something more specific. Where do you live? You might not need to bring the coop in for the winter if there is adequate protection from the elements.

4. Picotine

Jul 13, 2011
    we don't know exactly how many male/female we have yet. the breeder doesn't sex day olds. but however many rooster we have, we'd only keep one. we planned it to be a tractor but the coop feels too heavy to pull by hand. we'd have to use the lawn tractor. the run will attach to it but is removable to make it easier to move around. i can't post picture yet because i don't have enough posts. unless i can use cold links.

i personally don't mind if the garage smell during the winter. we live in Atlantic Canada where the temperature can reach -22F although on average it might be hovering around -4 to +5F. last winter was fairly mild but we had over 5 feet of snow.

5. Duramaxgirl

Duramaxgirl Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 12, 2010
    Idaho
    your problem is common [​IMG] my first coop DH built was to small so he made me another now my 2nd coop is to small so he's starting the 3rd. [​IMG]
    Do you have photos? Maybe adding on will help. And in cold winters they spend a lot of time inside. Mine spent the whole month of november inside their coops. So oversized coops in the north is a good idea.

6. Picotine

Jul 13, 2011
  7. Raen

Raen Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 3, 2010
    Missouri
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Pics.

What's the slide out thingie on the bottom?

8. ravenzero

ravenzero Out Of The Brooder

May 4, 2011
    Vancouver WA
    Yeah, that many chickens will tear each other apart in that space, Get rid of all but 1 Roo and you Might be ok.....maybe

9. georgiagail

georgiagail Chillin' With My Peeps

If this helps....we started out with 12 chicks (barred rocks, rhode island reds, buffs and a couple of "who knows what" thrown in)

We made our coop 4 x 8 (nest boxes are on the outside) and the run is 7 x 14.5 (see attached):

[​IMG]

When you first put the chicks in, you think "they're going to get lost in this large run"... and they do look dinky in there:

[​IMG]

Couple of months later you've got BIG monster chickens and even with an 8 foot wide coop they're jostling for space at night.

One of your problems is that while you will want to reduce the rooster stock, these guys are going to be adult size before you find out who is a rooster and who is a hen.

Any way you can at least rethink the size of your run?

Gail

10. Nicole01

Nicole01 Overrun With Chickens

Mar 28, 2011
    MN
    Our coop is inside our garage. We built a fully insulated room 12x5x8. I use DE and pine. I clean the coop daily and there is no chicken smell whatsoever. At most we smell a faint pine smell. I clean the run 1-2 times a week and I compost all the poo in the woods. The DE helps with the smell and there are ZERO bugs! I fully change the bedding 1 time a month, but since I clean 3-5 times a day it's pretty clean. I am very happy with our setup and wouldnt want it any other way. The best part about this is I don't have to walk through the snow to get to my girls.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by