I think we got ripped off....by a "friend"??

spacecowgirl

Songster
8 Years
Jul 30, 2011
My husband sold his Ninja motorcycle to a "friend" of ours for absolutely no down payment, nothing in writing, and a verbal payment plan of $50 a week. ( I know, stupid, right? )

Two months later, we got two $50 checks, which "friend" requested we waited to cash, as he didn't have the money in the bank. As per payment plan, he should have paid $400 dollars already at that point.

The agreement was $2000 total asking price, and at $50 a week, it could've been paid off pretty quick. Instead, he continued to ride it and then completely totaled it. Thankfully he's ok, but the bike bit the dust....I knew this would happen, and even told my husband so.

Turns out, he gets a payment of $2100 for the bike, plus $500 for his jacket, helmet, etc....so that's $2600..

He owes us $1900 for the bike....He sends a text to my husband: "Is it ok if I just give you $1500, cause I have medical bills... ( I told hubby that would happen )....and we said, that is fine.

I really thought, that's better than nothing, but we haven't seen a single dime.....because it's been several weeks, and i know there is very little of the money left, and my husband isn't even trying to pursue this....
he still being a little..well, you know....

He isn't going to pay a penny....for real....the money's Gone.
sad.png

Last edited by a moderator:
That sucks. I was stupid enough to sell a friend a car. He never paid as much as he was supposed to, only like 20 when we agreed on 50 a week. He ended up wrecking it still owing 400. Haven't seen it, doubt I ever will. Every time hubby asks he says he's sorry but he's got things he needs to pay. Well, duh, so do we. Learned my lesson, hope you get your money.

yep! You re out but the two checks you can take to the bank untill the money is in there. Or you can take to the state and they will collect for you. It is not illegal to NOT pay your bill but it is illegal to pay with a bad check. Not right but that is all you can hope for.

My ex-husband learned that the hard way too. He sold his "friend" a car.....correction.....he gave his "friend" a car.
roll.png

I always type up a contract, even if the sale is to my mother.

He isn't going to pay a penny....for real....the money's Gone

Did you REALLY expect a different result?

I figured that out when you said "No money down and ...."

That's NOT how you sell a vehicle (or anything)​

Last edited by a moderator:
A verbal agreement is still a contract, it's just harder to enforce legally. My suggestion:

1) Go back and talk to him again, Calmly go over the terms of the agreement again, explain to him the value of $1900 to you and that you have bills to pay also.
2) Rinse and repeat, but this time with one or two reliable mutual friends. Afterwards, have them write down their recollections of the meeting - they can have those writings notarized later if necessary.
3) Give him a week to start to make good.
4) Put in a small claims court complaint. Will be hard to prove, but the two checks you deposited will be some evidence, as well as the DMV records, and also you now have one or two witnesses who can testify that they heard him acknowledge the terms of the contract. Include the small court filing fee in the damages. Give the county/town/city office a call and ask them the procedure and costs, get the paperwork, and give your "friend" one more chance.

Back
Top Bottom