I Think We Have A Broody!!!!!

Discussion in 'Pictures & Stories of My Chickens' started by M To The Maxx, Nov 27, 2009.

1. M To The Maxx

M To The Maxx Baseball+Girls=Life

Jul 24, 2009
    Lutz,FL
    It is Puff our BC White Polish!!! [​IMG] She has been sitting on 1 brown and 1 blue egg for a little over 3 hours! Do you think she is broody? She hsn't moved once from her spot!!! I know she is not laying because there is no white egg under.

2. Year of the Rooster

Year of the Rooster Sebright Savvy

Jun 27, 2008
    West Central Ohio
    Give her more time. 3 hours isn't really enough time to officially determine if a hen is broody. I've had a couple of my hens sit on the nest sometimes for a couple hours. They were a little picky about where they laid. If she is still in there tonight, then it's possible she is if she doesn't go to roost.

3. M To The Maxx

Jul 24, 2009
    Lutz,FL
    Quote:Good to know.

4. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    Quote:Good to know.

Yeah, I've had hens sit for hours before they were distracted by something else and went on their merry way.

5. M To The Maxx

Jul 24, 2009
    Lutz,FL
    Well she is not broody. She came off the nest of 5 eggs. Oh well.

Last edited: Nov 27, 2009
  6. ThePolishPrincess

ThePolishPrincess Chillin' With My Peeps

You'd have to have her sit for at least 3 days to be able to even refer to her as 'broody'. Even then, you wouldn't be able to really know for a few weeks.

7. ChickenCharmer

ChickenCharmer Chillin' With My Peeps

Quote:Very true, though I've had hens on their nest through the night without being broody. They've also shed belly feathers, fluffed up and growled when I approached, and clucked up a storm, but they weren't broody. They're very unreliable at times. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by