i think we have a rooster help!

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by chickencrazy21, Oct 9, 2012.

1. chickencrazy21

chickencrazy21 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 22, 2012
    west covina california
    OK so i live in west covina california. its in la county. were not allowed to have roosters here but we can have as many hens as we want. we take full advantage of that trust me...we have 30 chickens. most we know what kind are. most of them we got from our local feed stores. they said there's little to no chance there are males because they sex them at the hatchery. we got a few from local breeders that were positive are not males. one literally flew from the sky. adopted itself into our flock its a turken. my sister kept saying she hears crowing. we told her shes paranoid that its probably just the hens cackling...well yesterday morning she woke me up at 6:30 am and said think I'm paranoid now. i hear crowing. the problem is we don't know if its a stray rooster like our turken was. or if its one of our feed store babies. we've narrowed it down to three chickens. the turken, the Plymouth barred rock, and our blue Andalusian. im attached to all of our chickens so im praying it isn't one of ours and that its a wild rooster so we don't have to give ours up. one thing about the crowing it didn't sound very close. so i took pictures today of each one and was hoping someone could narrow it down or hopefully tell us none of them are it. thanks for your help!
    [​IMG]
    this is chicken nugget aka cheep trick the blue Andalusian

[​IMG]
    this is little boo peep the Plymouth barred rock chicken

[​IMG]
    this is lucky kung fu the naked neck chicken aka the turken that flew from the sky

2. theoldchick

theoldchick The Chicken Whisperer

May 11, 2010
    Boo Peep has the tail of a cockerel.

3. ramirezframing

ramirezframing Overrun With Chickens

Mar 2, 2011
    Knee Deep
    boo peep is a rooster, how old chicken nugget?

4. hdowden

hdowden Overrun With Chickens

Aug 14, 2011
    louisiana
    the barred rock is 110% cockerel it has some nice saddles and hackles on him already

5. BlueCamas

BlueCamas Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 25, 2011
    Milwaukie, Oregon
    1- pullet
    2- cockerel
    3- pullet

6. BantamFan4Life

BantamFan4Life LOOK WHAT YOU MADE ME DO. Premium Member

Jun 15, 2012
    Washington
    My Coop
    Andalusian and barred rock look like cockerel's.

7. goldfinches

goldfinches Chillin' With My Peeps

May 6, 2011
    Maryland
    I think your Andalusian is a pullet. They get HUGE combs. One of mine has one so big it hangs/flops over her eyes.

On the other hand, your Barred Rock is a rooster. Sorry [​IMG]

8. chickenlover25

chickenlover25 Out Of The Brooder

Oct 9, 2012
    the barred rock is 110% cockerel it has some nice saddles and hackles on him already

x2

9. roo
    roo
    hen

10. hdowden

hdowden Overrun With Chickens

Aug 14, 2011
    louisiana
    i am pretty sure the Andalusian is a pullet it has no saddles nor hackles of a cockerel but an age would help

Last edited: Oct 9, 2012

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by