I think we have Cocci...... what do I do?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by lindz8504, Oct 7, 2013.

1. lindz8504

lindz8504 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 24, 2013
    Blue Ridge Mtns in NC
    I went down this morning and noticed some bloody poo in my broody coop that has a hen and 7 chicks in it. The chicks are 4 weeks old. I haven't noticed them being lethargic or anything, but they are a little "ratty" looking which I attributed to them starting to feather out. I know that I need to treat everyone in the coop, and probably everyone else because they have access to the area around the coop and under it. What do I need to use and what is the dosage? I am not getting any eggs right now, but if they start laying while under treatment how long do I need to throw those away? Any help is greatly appreciated because I really don't want to lose any of these chicks!

2. casportpony

casportpony Team Tube Feeding Captain & Poop Inspector General Premium Member Project Manager

Jun 24, 2012
    My Coop
    To treat for coccidiosis I would start by getting some Corid or Amrol from a feed store. It's found in the cattle section and sold as liquid, which I prefer and powder.

The the liquid dose is 2 teaspoons (.024% level) per gallon for 5-7 days.
    The powder dose is 1.5 teaspoons (.024% level) per gallon for 5-7 days.

FDA recommendations:
    http://www.accessdata.fda.gov/scripts/animaldrugsatfda/details.cfm?dn=013-149
    "Chickens
    Indications: For the treatment of coccidiosis.
    Amount: Administer at the 0.012 percent level in drinking water as soon as coccidiosis is diagnosed and continue for 3 to 5 days (in severe outbreaks, give amprolium at the 0.024 percent level); continue with 0.006 percent amprolium-medicated water for an additional 1 to 2 weeks."

And this link has these instructions:
    http://www.drugs.com/vet/amprol-9-6-solution-can.html
    "Poultry - as Soon As Caecal Coccidiosis Is Diagnosed, Give 0.024% Amprolium In The Drinking Water For 5 To 7 Days. Continue The Treatment With 0.006% Amprolium Medicated Water For An Additional One To Two Weeks. No Other Source Of Drinking Water Should Be Available To The Birds During This Time."

-Kathy

3. casportpony

casportpony Team Tube Feeding Captain & Poop Inspector General Premium Member Project Manager

Jun 24, 2012
    My Coop
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

4. lindz8504

Jul 24, 2013
    Blue Ridge Mtns in NC
    Thank you very much!

5. Noobchick

Noobchick Chillin' With My Peeps

May 23, 2011
    Creedmoor, NC
    Was the poop bright red or brownish red? Was it stringy looking like snot or did it look like someone got a nosebleed and dripped blood in your coop?

I ask because growing chicks (and grown chickens) shed intestinal lining. It's normal, to be expected, and there's no need to medicate.

Here's a website that may help identify what you saw:
    http://chat.allotment.org/index.php?topic=17568.0

(Edited to correct stupid iPad keyboard spelling errors)

Last edited: Oct 7, 2013
  6. lindz8504

Jul 24, 2013
    Blue Ridge Mtns in NC
    It looked more like a nosebleed.... then there was some runny poo with blood in it as well....

7. casportpony

Jun 24, 2012
    My Coop
    That chart has poops labeled normal that are not! Don't trust it!

-Kathy

8. Noobchick

May 23, 2011
    Creedmoor, NC

Nosebleed-like? Bright red? Then probably coccidiosis. Dosage posted is correct. Be sure not to give any vitamin supplements while treating for coccidiosis- the vitamins will interfere with the medicine working and it'll take longer for your birds to recover. Birds should start to recover within a day or two. If you see bloody stools past two days, watch the birds for a bit to see which ones are pooping blood. It could be that they're not drinking as much water/meds as they should. For those chicks, dip their beaks in the water, as you would to teach a newly hatched chick to drink. Do that several times a day and continue monitoring their bedding for blood.

9. Noobchick

May 23, 2011
    Creedmoor, NC

I'm curious: which ones are mislabeled?

10. lindz8504

Jul 24, 2013
    Blue Ridge Mtns in NC
    Yes bright red... I actually thought maybe someone had gotten cut or something but didn't see any wounds.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by