I THINK We Have Found Our "Farm"!

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by MagsC, Sep 10, 2008.

1. MagsC

MagsC Queen Of Clueless

Jul 27, 2008
    Minnesota
    Right now myself and daughter have been living on the edge of town. Most days I tolerate it but more and more often I really dislike it. I have been looking around for a small fixer upper farm, more of them around these days. Anyway, I THINK I may have found it, going to ask more questions tomorrow. Its a old 3 bedroom 1 bath farmhouse, barn and outbuildings on 8.99 acres. It needs fixing up, but been there and done that. The price is definitely right. When I bought my current home for $25,000 11 years ago, there was a lot to do. The first year we barely had any insulation. Talk about a cold Minnesota winter!!! At the time this was the closest I could get to a country place. I havent decided if I am going to sell this one or not, I have four older kids, two of them outside of Minnesota who are possibly wanting to move back.

2. Rare Feathers Farm

Rare Feathers Farm Overrun With Chickens

Congrads! You could fit a lot of poultry on nearly 9 acres!

3. DuckLady

DuckLady Administrator Staff Member

Jan 11, 2007
    Washington State
    Congrats!
    That sounds great! It is defintely a buyers market right now and if you can hold on to your current home and rent it to good people, you are already ahead!

4. jjthink

jjthink Overrun With Chickens

Jan 17, 2007
    New Jersey
    This must be very exciting and I hope the info you learn is encouraging!

Good luck with this!

JJ

p.s. Amazing that you found a place for $25K only 11 years ago!

5. hypnofrogstevie

hypnofrogstevie chick magnet

Jul 12, 2007
    Newton NJ
    Congrats on your new home.

6. MagsC

MagsC Queen Of Clueless

Jul 27, 2008
    Minnesota
    I have seen property in some country areas of Wisconsin now going for well under $60,000.Often under $40,000.Even one old farm place for $24,000. I had thought about that too until I came across this place. (Keeping my fingers crossed!)
    Of course I am sure it all depends on economy of the area and such.
    I have seen pics of the place, with some hard work I believe it could be exactly what I have wanted. Since I am not adverse to digging in and making something of it, I have high hopes.....
    LOL, yeah, thinking of how many chickens I can have on almost 9 acres is definitely a draw!!!!!![​IMG]

7. jjthink

jjthink Overrun With Chickens

Jan 17, 2007
    New Jersey
    Post pics when you can! [​IMG]

8. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

How exciting for you! Hope it works out so you can have lots of chickens and plenty of room to roam.

9. dangerouschicken

dangerouschicken Will Barter For Coffee

May 6, 2007
    Columbia Gorge, OR
    great! I am sooooo jealous (we rent our farm).

10. chiknlady

chiknlady Chillin' With My Peeps

May 12, 2008
    SE PA
    Claim your home ! If you can conceive it--be open to receive it!--Sounds like a home sweet home...

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by