I think we lost one today.

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by harleyjo, Jun 5, 2010.

1. harleyjo

harleyjo Chillin' With My Peeps

May 6, 2010
    SW Iowa
    We let them free range during the day and are in and out all the time. We live in a small rurual town in Iowa. Later this afternoon I did a head count of my 6 week old pullets and I am missing one. Seriously we watch them out the patio door and we were both in and out all day as well as in and out of the coop. I have no idea whether it was a cat, dog, fox, hawk or what. From now on though they will only be out in their fenced pen unless we are right there with them. [​IMG]

2. chick4chicks

chick4chicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 6, 2008
    N.E. Pa.
    [​IMG] sorry to hear that but maybe it will still come home, I hope it does. [​IMG]

3. CalebtheChicken

CalebtheChicken Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 5, 2010
    Jeremiah, Ky.
    If it was a game bird, it couldof roosted in a tree, like my hen Tastegamey. She hasn't roosted in the coop in a month.

4. harleyjo

May 6, 2010
    SW Iowa
    It was one of my black sex links. She didn't come back tonight either.

5. Lofty Dreams

Lofty Dreams Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 9, 2010
    Minnesota
    My idea seach in bushes hen go broody and they chose strange places.

6. harleyjo

May 6, 2010
    SW Iowa
    She wasn't even 2 months old they don't go broody that young do they? A neighbor who was looking for his dog yesterday morning told us he kicked up a fox not even a block from our house when he was out looking for his dog.

7. CMV

CMV Flock Mistress

Apr 15, 2009
    Quote:No. They don't go broody that young. Sorry about your loss.

8. harleyjo

May 6, 2010
    SW Iowa
    I don't know if chickens figure this stuff out but they have been in their little yard today and only were allowed to free range late today when we were right out their with them. None of them would go way up in the other yard where they had been yesterday and previous days. They used to love to run all over that yard. Today, they stayed right over in our yard or barely into the other one.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by