1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

I think we may have bronchitis in our flock best way to treat??

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by sunket77, Dec 27, 2011.

1. sunket77

sunket77 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 21, 2009
    Texas Hill Country!
    Hello all! thanks in advance for any help!

I have a mixed breed/age flock of 20 chickens, they haven't laid in about 4 weeks. They have been wormed (pumpkin seeds) the older ones seem to STILL be going through a molt, I have treated each bird with Adams just to make sure it wasn't mites or lice. After checking each bird I couldn't find any signs but treated anyway. I have about 4 hens that are about 3 years old and they all look terrible, my barred rock is missing so many feathers! This morning I heard a couple of sneezes, I picked up my lakenvelder hen after she sneezed and she had mucus and a bad smell. My best guess from Storey's Guide is bronchitis. After a very long drought we have finally gotten rain...a LOT of rain, it has rained nearly everyday since winter started! The runs have become mud pits and as much as we have tried have had a very hard time as it never stays dry long enough. I had to clean my coop off schedule as well b/c it was caked with mud. I do not know if this is why the caught bronchitis or not with the cold and wet/ muddy conditions they have been in....I try to let them free range as much as possible but they won't come out in the rain.

What is the best/cost effective way to get them all treated quick and stop it from spreading. Effect on the eggs is not a concern since they are not laying anyway!

thanks!

2. BamaSilkies

BamaSilkies Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 28, 2011
    NE Alabama
    pumkin seeds are not a cure for worms they are a preventive. If you had a lot of rain theres a good chance that they have worms and have made them weak. In a weakened state they can be suseptible to a lot of different ailments.

3. dawg53

dawg53 Humble

Nov 27, 2008
    Jacksonville, Florida
    Quote:I doubt you are dealing with Infectious Bronchitis Virus (IBV). More likely you are dealing with coryza, the foul odor is the tell tale sign. It is contageous and will spread through your flock. Here's a link, scroll down to Infectious Coryza. There are recommended treatments in the link, but birds will remain carriers. Your best course of action would be to cull your birds, disinfect everything thoroughly and start over at a later time.
    http://www.amerpoultryassn.com/respiratory_disease.htm
    http://edis.ifas.ufl.edu/ps044

Last edited: Dec 27, 2011
  4. sunket77

sunket77 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 21, 2009
    Texas Hill Country!
    thanks for the link.... I looked back at the guide and realized I read the wrong disease name for the right symptoms.... everywhere else says there is facial swelling which my birds don't have...I am going to check again tomorrow and have a better look, and make sure the smell was coming from her nose and not her feet in the muddy run.

5. RedRoosterFarm

RedRoosterFarm **LOVE MY SERAMAS**

GooCorza maybe? Bad smell might be corza.
    Crd,IB,ILT,MG?
    Quote:

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by