I Think We Rescued Them (Many Photos)

MissPrissy

Crowing
Premium Feather Member
12 Years
May 7, 2007
Forks, Virginia
My girls have been asking for silkies, polish and cochins. My husband has an interest in turkeys and guineas. I saw a note pinned up on the co-op board so I jotted down the number, gave the man a call and off we went to see what he had to offer.

When we arrived we immediately saw squallor. I almost put the truck in reverse and left immediately. Too late, he saw us. So we get out our truck and had the meet and greet.

He begins showing us what he has to sell. Lots of pens and coops averaging in size about 3x5 and LOADED with birds ranging from guines, doves, chicks, turkeys and I can't name what all is there. A 2x2 pen with several RIR. An 8x8 house filled with brooders loaded with turkeys, ducks and chicks all mixed together. In he house he lives in a room filled with rubbermaid tubs and heat lamps with one day old birds. Free ranging ducks, pea fowl, turkeys, guineas, etc. The place had a stench that made me feel ill.

I almost left several times but when I looked at the birds I kept having this feeling of 'save me'.

I know I can't save the world. I know we have limited space for what we want to do. But I had to do something.

We came home with:

2 turkeys @ 4 weeks old - Red Bourbon crossed with something, he said bronzes but those huge toms and hens he had where in no way bronzes.

turkeys1.jpg

4 black silkies @ 4 weeks old

silkie1.jpg

6 polish @ 4 weeks old - 2 white, 2 black w/ white top, 2 silver laced

polish1.jpg

6 guineas at 5 weeks old

guinea1.jpg

and 2 little ducks @ 3 days old

ducks1.jpg

There was no feed that we could see in any of the coops/cages.

There was no bedding of any kind. Just hard packed dirt.

No roosts.

No runs.

Just old pots and pans filled with disgusting black water.

And more stench.

We got the new birds back home. Quarrentined them. Gave them a vitamin supplement. Fed them rice and yogurt. Offered some wet cat food. Lots of clean water. Plenty of starter/grower crumbles. Fresh sweet smelling hay for bedding powdered liberally with DE. They do not like to be held much. They are afraid of us.

We will be working on the friendliness thing and hoping to jump start their nutrition.

The new birds are supposedly 4 weeks old.

Our birds we raised from 1 day old are 5 weeks old now.

Can you see the difference in their growth compared to the new ones in the photos above?

wyandotte1.jpg

My white wyandotte roo. The kids call him King of the Chickens.

gentle1.jpg

One of my buff orpingtons.

One thing I can't wait to rid of is the stench we brought home with us. Our birds do not smell. Our barns do not smell. I use DE and fresh bedding hay. Our birds eat well. We offered them some of the yogurt and rice with a side dish of wet cat food and they attacked it leaving empty bowls in 10 minutes or less.

We felt bad that the new birds didn't realize the offerings were food.

I can't shake the feeling that I wish we could have brought home more.

Last edited:
I'm glad you decided to bring some home with you. Keep in mind, you can't save them all. Hopefully he will sell enough to thin them out. Some people just don't know when to say, enough is enough. Congrats on your new babies.
yippiechickie.gif

Lucky, lucky birds!! But it sounds like he will just keep on going if he has brooders all over the house etc. He probably sells to many in the area.
I am sure you will have them all eating out of your hands very soon. Love and good food works wonders!
D.gif

What a touching story. You're a good soul. You described those animals' situations so poignantly. It's good to hear these stories; it's a reminder that there are big-hearted folks out there who go the extra mile for a suffering animal.

Your birds you got will come to know you are a friend and treat you like one. They do respond so well to kindness and love. I am so glad you got the ones you did. They are very lucky to have you to take care of them.

I too am glad that some of those babies were rescued and are now in such a great home. However, by anyone buying any of his birds it just encourages him to continue his raising and selling more birds and possibly other animals.

I must say that I really think you need to turn this guy into the ASCPA. Sometimes people are just having a hard time and things get a little out of hand for a short time. But, this guy most certainly doesn't sound like this is a one time or short term situation.

He needs to be turned in for the animals sake. You can make a call and tell them what you saw and smelled and let the ASCPA decide what to do. You don't have to give your name if you don't want to although there is always more credence to a report when the reporter is willing to give their name.

Think about it and think about what the rest of those poor babies are living in.

Good luck with the new ones.

Good for you, MissPrissy! I wish there were more kind hearted people like you in this world! Good luck!
yippiechickie.gif

I'm glad you were able to bring them home. Is there someone you can contact about the way the man is treating these birds? I'm afraid I'd be turning him in.

Oh, and I just love the little ducks and your white roo on your husband's arm.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom