1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

I think we saved our little shipped chick from MM!

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Jeffross1968, Feb 22, 2012.

1. Jeffross1968

Jeffross1968 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 14, 2011
    Smoky Mountains
    So, we got the call yesterday morning from the PO telling us our chicks had arrived. We hurried over, opened the box, and all were alive. We drove home quickly. As usual, each was taken one at a time and beak dunked into the water and left there to see if it would continue drinking. Though, once you get through about 15 or so, things get a little crazy in there and you can have a hard time keeping track. Anyway...

A few hours later we noticed one very lethargic. We then added a second waterer to the brooder, this one with a teaspoon of sugar, and forced it to drink. Unfortunately, we could not do the same with food. After looking at the forums, and trying everything we could find, including scrambled egg, nothing was seeming to work and she was getting weaker.

Then my wife had an idea. They survive the first few days on absorbed egg yolk. How about we try that? So took a fresh laid egg from our flock, separated the yolk, and poured some in a small cap. Then took the chick out every half hour, and dipped her beak in the yolk just like you would with water. It stayed weak, and after doing this for hours, we went to sleep, and left it up to fate. When I woke this morning, it was still alive, against everything we expected. I gave it a water dunk, and then cracked another egg yolk into a cap. This time, I didn't have to do any dipping. It stood on my counter in front of the cap and ate like crazy. When it stopped, I placed it back in the brooder, and it ran over to the water.

So just a heads up to anyone with a lethargic chick from a shipped order that won't eat...try the raw egg yolk. Never know...might just do the trick...for now on, we'll be doing this immediately upon finding a chick that isn't as active as the others, or doesn't seem to be eating.

Last edited: Feb 22, 2012
  2. Jeffross1968

May 14, 2011
    Smoky Mountains

Last edited: Feb 22, 2012
  3. Jeffross1968

May 14, 2011
    Smoky Mountains
    Now here is the problem...I can't get the stupid chick to eat it's regular food. When it's hungry, it sits at the edge of the brooder and screams for me until I take it back to the counter and let it eat raw egg. Granted, it's saved it's life. But it does this weird thing when I set it at the feeder...it just pecks the plastic, which may very well be why it got lethargic in the first place, because it couldn't figure out how to eat. I've done everything I could think of, including dipping it's beak in egg, then take it to the feeder and dip it into the chick food so it sticks on it's beak and gets the idea. It WILL eat the stuff off it's beak. But then it will go back to pecking the plastic.

I thought maybe it was blind or something, but when I set it on the counter it runs straight for the cap with the egg in it. Ugh!!!!

4. tweetysvoice

tweetysvoice Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 30, 2011
    Lawrence, KS
    My Coop
    Oh no! I'd think you need to just not let it eat the yolk anymore. You probably have to get it off of that taste or you'll most definitely have an egg eater on your hands!
    How many other chicks are in there with it? You'd think it would see the other chicks eating and imitate, but maybe not. How about putting chick feed in that cap you mentioned.

5. cmfarm

cmfarm Chillin' With My Peeps

May 3, 2010
    Elgin, TX
    Maybe try mixing some of the feed with the yolk.

6. Jeffross1968

May 14, 2011
    Smoky Mountains
    Yeah, that's exactly what we tried tonight. We stopped feeding it any egg at all a few hours ago. It hasn't eaten or drank since. Hopefully, during the night, it will figure it out. It's looked at the food. It's pecked at the feeder. But it hasn't seemed to eat or drink on it's own, how it should, at all.

7. Jeffross1968

May 14, 2011
    Smoky Mountains
    Well it's doing great. We stopped feeding the raw egg and went to bed last night, and woke up today and it was eating chick food. Guess it got hungry enough to figure it out!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by