we had one pipping for about 24 hrs and decided to help it out did we make a mistake? it was bloody and now doesn't seem to well. it's still curled up but its breathing. dam I should have just waited, we feel horrible.
Don't feel bad, many people would have done the same thing after 24 hours. I helped one out that was pretty bloody and it looked horrible! I didn't think it would make it, it was very weak and couldn't walk for 2 days. Now he's absolutely fine. If yours is not don't blame yourself, like I said, many would do the same...
thanks for the positive thoughts. everyone seems to be fine now its been three full days they are all peeping eating and drinking water.(my cats are in heaven staring at them).
we learned our lesson as far as helping them out of the egg. I had two hens die in the past 18 months(very traumatic). I didn't want to feel responsible for a peep. Thanks again
We incubated 2 batches a month ago and there were times I had to help. If it was over 24 hrs, say pushing 30, and the membrane looked dry, I'd just put a drop of water on my clean finger and touch right above where they were trying to break through. I'd also get the humidity WAY up by putting an extra lid (from a jar of something like pickles so it was shallow) in the incubator. It seemed to help.
I'm glad it looks like things are smoothing out. Just incase this happens to you at some point--one of ours got pecked and was bleeding from it's rump so we just dabbed some Neosporin on it and she was fine, thankfully. Scary to see blood after she came out looking ok.
Hopefully it will make it.One thing to keep in mind if you ever do help a chick out if there is any blood if you pick shell off the chick is not ready.I have helped out many duckling's and chicks but only after a bit of failure's.I know it's hard waiting on them and sometime's intervention will save them.Usualy if they get through the first couple day's they will do fine.
This was our first time incubating too, and we had to help all but one of ours out of the shells. We lost a duckling and 4 chicks due to humidity problems and not intervening quickly enough. The decision to assist is a judgment call, and we do the best we can with the information we have, so don't beat yourself up. Glad to hear your babies are doing well.